Posts Tagged With: Teacher
Empowering people to overcome obstacles and walk in their unique purpose is the real life message shared by Eddie Connor, who is a 15-year cancer survivor.
Eddie is a resident of Detroit, Michigan but grew up in Kingston, Jamaica.
As a product of a divorced family, Eddie realizes that he was not born with a “silver spoon” but discovered strength in the midst of struggle.
As an Author, Evangelist, Motivational Speaker, Poet, Political Advisor, Teacher, and TV Correspondent on CBS/CW 50, Eddie Connor shares his story of overcoming cancer in his three books: Purposefully Prepared to Persevere, Collections of Reflections: Symphonies of Strength – Volumes 1-3, and E.CON the ICON: from Pop Culture to President Barack Obama (www.eddieconnor.com).
Eddie Connor is a graduate of Eastern Michigan University, having earned a Bachelor of Science in Secondary Education, with a focus in History. He has also earned a Master of Arts Degree in Education from Marygrove College, as a Reading and Literacy Specialist.
He has garnered prestigious honors for his community activism and role model leadership, such as the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Humanitarian Award, Eastern Michigan University President For a Day, the Black Male Engagement Leadership Award, and named one of the top 100 leaders in “Who’s Who in Black Detroit.”
Over the years, Eddie has encouraged youth to overcome life’s obstacles on his radio program, “Youth On The March” being broadcast throughout the United States and Caribbean, to more than 25 million people.
Eddie desires to educate and empower the next generation. He has launched a literacy initiative “Boys 2 Books” which is designed to combat the school-to-prison pipeline, by empowering young males via life skills and literacy. The program has been endorsed by the United States Congress.
From Cancer to Conqueror to more than Conqueror, God has truly given Eddie Connor a voice to reach individuals of all ages and backgrounds with a message that you can overcome any obstacle.
Join us today as we feature author Kimmie Thomas on the Michigan Literary Network Blogtalk radio show. She will be talking about her new book Nursing Dr. Miller. Check out her bio below.
Kimmie Thomas is a native Detroiter. She is a writer, teacher, mother, and wife. Her first love has always been reading and writing. She has been motivated by writers such as Donald Goines, Maya Angelou, Zane and E. Lynn Harris. Kimmie has worked as a psychiatric nurse for more than 10 years. She uses her vast knowledge of mental health to make her characters real for her readers.
This Side of Crazy is her debute novel. She is also featured in an Anthology, Rough and Raw. Check out her latest book, Nursing Dr. Miller. Her current writing project is called House of Assignation.
Book Description: Do you know what goes on in a hospital? Would you believe that sex, lies and deceit are ever present even while you lay ill in you hospital bed? You may be surprised to find out that the soap operas you watch are not as far fetched as you may think. This story may not be Gray’s Anatomy but it will curl your toes just as much. Gregory Miller, MD is tall dark and handsome. He single and looking for love and the nurses at Kingdom Hospital just want to love him back. Is sex and a good time enough for Dr. Miller? Follow him and his fellow doctors and nurses as they try to find love and a good time while saving lives
As the Motown Writers Network feature poets this April, we cannot forget about one of Detroit’s greatest poets, David Blair. David Blair was an award-winning, multi-faceted artist: singer-songwriter, poet, writer, performer, musician, community activist and teacher. Born Sept. 19, 1967, he grew up in Newton, N.J., but called Detroit his adopted home. Blair performed all over the world and has friends on almost every continent. Blair’s work and life leave an indelible impression on the Detroit community as well as all of the communities he touched.
A 2010 Callaloo Fellow and a National Poetry Slam Champion, Blair’s first book of poetry, Moonwalking, was recently released by Penmanship Books. Blair, as a solo artist, and with The Urban Folk Collective, self-released more than seven records in the last ten years. His most recent album, The Line, with his band The Boyfriends, was released in 2010 on Repeatable Silence Records.
He was nominated for seven Detroit Music Awards, including a 2007 nod for Outstanding Acoustic Artist. He was named Real Detroit Weekly Readers Poll’s Best Solo Artist and The Metro Times Best Urban Folk Poet. In 2007, he also won the Seattle-based BENT Writing Institute Mentor Award. As well as being the recipient of numerous awards, he taught classes and lectured on poetry and music in Detroit Public Schools, The Ruth Ellis Center, Hannan House Senior Center, the YMCA of Detroit, and at various universities, colleges and high schools across the country.
For more information about the life of David Blair go to http://dblair.org/
Motown Writers | Michigan Literary Network
Off Site Network Pages
Like Our Facebook Pages!
- Detroit Native to Host Book Signing at Arab American National Museum Saturday, April 26, 2014
- My book marketing experiment by spending $10 on @Fiverr.com Leave a comment
- Hockey great Gordie Howe to release book in October #motownlit #michlit
- Authors & Book Bloggers on Instagram via @jfBookman
- April 7 - Self-Publishing Panel Royal Oak Library - RSVP required via
- Download Your Next eBook from the @DetroitLibrary
- .@CityTalkMag Announcement: Casting Call by @HIDPfilms March29 Metro #Detroit
- TWO GENERATIONS OF POETIC COOL CD RELEASE MARCH 29, 2014 3pm via @onesinglerose #MotownLit
- Help local #MotownLit Author, Yusef Bunchy Shakur (@Z8YBS) on his new endeavor! Plz donate &share w/others #michlit
- Live #Storytelling Event Showcase Social Justice Stories March 21st #Detroit
- O/T: Motor City Connect: #313DLove event on March 13 frm @terrybean #networking
- Meetup update: #MotownWriters Group Monthly topic: Selling/Promoting Yr Ebook March8th(today) 10am-Noon
- The Secret Society Of Twisted Storytellers Presents "SOCIAL JUSTICE" Friday, March 21, 2014 @CHWMAAH #Detroit
- Fifth Annual @DaytonBookExpo Save the Date May 3rd
- o/t: Metro #Detroit Event: 6th Annual I'm Every Woman Expo by Eloquets Event Enterprise March 15th
- o/t: JOIN US AT #REDCARPETBASH w/@habitatdetroit #support #detroit #causes #purpose #oscars
- .@TheCarrCenter Saturday Arts Academy Winter Term Opening Postponed!
- #MichLit Event: Finding My Way Home Feb15 Royal Oak Library
- EVENT: Jan15DRIVEN IV - Book Unveiling & Reception | The Garden Theater #Detroit Frm @michron wsg @andersonanthony
Help & Donate
- My book marketing experiment by spending $10 on @Fiverr.com
- April Book Feature: Dreams of Reality #urban #romance #suspense #AmazonPrime
- New Release Review: His Substitute Wife…My Sister by Sylvia Hubbard
- Someone is Telling me a Story
- Character Profile of Parker from His Substitute Wife . . . My Sister, by Sylvia Hubbard
Nat’l Writers Union
Search This Site
|Parts of An EBook -… on The Ebook Lady|
|16dreams on Motown Writers Network~ Featur…|
|Nicholas C. Rossis on A-Z Guide: How both my books r…|
- Michigan Literary Network News is out! paper.li/sylviahubbard1… Stories via @MaranathaWriter 4 hours ago
- Can she make dreams of love into Dreams of Reality? bit.ly/1i6eVCZ prequel to Deceptive Nights bit.ly/1i6eXe5 11 hours ago
- RT @zachbraiker: Let's bring magic to Detroit: thehpalliance.org/accio-books. Thank you @TheHPAlliance #BooksMakeWorlds 12 hours ago
- RT @Psymon_H: Apr 21, #Urban #Romance: His Substitute Wife… My Sister: Life has never been worth living for Charisse before ... http://t.co… 12 hours ago
- RT @KABBEYL: 8 women making Detroit a better place to live, every day huff.to/1fOPzrB 12 hours ago
- ACW Christian Coffee House Poetry Night April 1, 2014Motown Writers Meetup Group The American Christian Writers Detroit Celebrate National Poetry Month with a mini-workshop and open mic performances by local inspirational and motivational poets. $5.00 Registration required for performers Refreshments available for a nominal fee. Detroit, MI 48219 - USA Thursday, April 24 at 6:30 PM Attending: 9 Details: http:/ […]
- Motown Writers Meetup Group Monthly Meetup June 30, 2011Motown Writers Meetup Group (Please forward this to a friend and bring several friends with you.) See ya Sat and please bring a donation to help us out. Also bring your literary challenges, new books to announce and achievements. Networking is key to our survival as writers and authors! This is your chance to learn, network and connect! Detroit, MI 48202 - U […]
- #MotownWriters Monthly January 4, 2014Motown Writers Meetup Group This is the Detroit Motown Writers Meetup where special guest speakers talk about their literary journey, we share our challenges and struggles and we help each other.Want to announce an event? Want to share your book struggles?Want to announce your book's birth?Got a question! Come in! Join us!Donations are asked, but donati […]
- Auburn Hills Writers Group Meeting!! February 5, 2013Motown Writers Meetup Group Writing exercises, discussion, networking and critique every 3rd Thursday at 6:30 at the Auburn Hills Library. Detroit, MI 48227 - USA Thursday, May 15 at 6:30 PM Attending: 1 Details: http://www.meetup.com/michiganliterarynetwork/events/qgfwffyshbtb/
- Nandi's Knowledge Cafe Open Mic Poetry July 13, 2013Recurring Event First start: 2013-07-18 21:00:00 EDT Duration: 10800 Where: 12511 Woodward off of Glendale, in Highland Park Event Status: confirmed Event Description: w/ Torreano Resean Harrison contact https://www.facebook.com/Caesar.Torreano
- Always Brewing Detroit July 13, 2013Recurring Event First start: 2013-07-18 18:30:00 EDT Duration: 9000 Where: 19180 Grand River Ave, Detroit, Michigan 48223 Event Status: confirmed Event Description: Open Mic tonight and every Thursday Always Brewing Detroit! Sign-up starts at 6:30pm, performances start at 7pm. Come and bring a friend! This is an open mic for poets, storytellers, singers/song […]
- Banned Book Week via @OMGFacts July 6, 2013When: Sun Sep 22, 2013 to Sat Sep 28, 2013 Where: EVERYWHERE Event Status: confirmed Event Description: The last week in September is designated as Banned Books Week in honor of great authors that have been challenged by various institutions
- Pen, Pitch, Publish, Profit! April 2, 2013When: Sat May 4, 2013 11am to 4pm EDT Where: 6 Depot Square - Montclair, 07042 Event Status: confirmed Event Description: For details, link here: http://penpitchpublishprofit.eventbrite.com
- Detroit Association of Black Storytellers (DAB) January 21, 2011When: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10am to 12pm ESTReplaces event originally scheduled for: Sat Dec 22, 2012 10am Where: Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History - Detroit, MI Event Status: confirmed Event Description: Detroit Association of Black Storytellers (DABS) meets at Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History on the 4th Saturday of each m […]
- Link: The Power of KInstantDashboardBolade Omo Niaja posted a link to Motown Writers Network's wall: The power of KInstantDashboard for Authors; http://indiewritersupport.com/profiles/blogs/the-power-of-kinstantdashboard
- Wallflux demonstration (update in 15 minutes)You are viewing content through a demonstration-version of the Wallflux of the Motown Writers Network-Facebook group. To remove this notice, and get access to the live Wallflux-feed, register it at http://www.wallflux.com/ To display images and comments in your Wallflux, use the Wallflux Atom: http://wallflux.com/atom/68379811096 If you are interested in a c […]
- Photo: Timeline PhotosKing Tank posted a photo on Motown Writers Network's wall.
- Group wall post by Robert FosterRobert Foster wrote on Motown Writers Network's wall: "Glid'n 2 Your Magnificent Groove!" Hello! ;^) & a Grand Day to You my good friend! There is a magnificent collaboration now occurring all around, within & through, when a person like You, begins to "Step, Glide, Meander & Move, with a purpose believed now to pursue […]
- Photo: Timeline PhotosSharon Carter posted a photo on Motown Writers Network's wall.
Writer’s Must Have Resources
Synergy Energy: How to Use the Power of Partnerships to Market Your Book, Grow Your Business, and Brand Your Ministry
Dan Poynter's Self-Publishing Manual, Volume 2: How to Write, Print and Sell Your Own Book
Do you have a writer's resource must have? Contact Us!
see more links and partners | click here