Posts Tagged With: Tips
- Social Media for Authors: New Google Social Network and more… (motownwriters.wordpress.com)
- Free eBook: How to Use Online Video for Marketing (hubspot.com)
- How a Novelist Bypassed His Publisher and Raised $11,000 on Kickstarter (pbs.org)
Character Writing Tips
What do readers want from character? They want entertainment. They want to feel empathy. Above all, they want your characters to feel alive. Here are three tips on how to achieve that.
1. Know your characters. This a massive issue. Listen to the difference between this: “Karen felt herself getting angry. Her cheeks flushed and she began to pound the table and shout.”
And this: “Karen felt herself getting quieter and quieter. Her throat felt constricted and dry. She wanted to get up to get another Diet Coke except that she wouldn’t give him the pleasure of seeing her agitated. Instead, she forced herself to quieten down. The calmer she was, the more he hated it.”
The first Karen is just too bland, too generic – too much like every crummy TV actor getting angry for the camera. The second Karen is not like that. She gets angry in her way, nobody else’s. The writer can write that second character because he/she knows who they’re writing about. They KNOW Karen. So tip one is simply this: the more intimately you know your character, the better you will write about them.
2. Give your characters a hard time If you want to create empathy with your characters, then give them a rough time. Plunge them into a turbulent world early on and don’t let up till the end. It’s sounds so simple, but quite honestly you have at least 50% of good character writing right there. Even a relatively bland, cliched character will cause readers to turn the page if we really feel that character’s predicament.
After all, do you really remember much about the hero in a Patterson novel? DO you remember much about the heroine in The Devil Wears Prada? We doubt it. What keeps you reading is the turbulence that surrounds that person. So be nasty. Your fiction needs it!
3. Give your characters inner life Another classic mistake is to concentrate so hard on describing what your character is saying / doing / seeing… that you forget to say what they’re thinking, feeling, remembering, sensing. And you need to combine all these things to create a vivid and lifelike experience of being some other person.
One brilliant tip is to read a page of your work and underline everything that’s about your character’s inner world. If you go page after page with nothing much underlined, then you’ve got a problem. And it’s easy to fix it – just make sure to tell the reader about your character’s inner life. So simple, but so powerful.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Harry_Bingham
Motown Writers | Michigan Literary Network
Off Site Network Pages
Like Our Facebook Pages!
- My book marketing experiment by spending $10 on @Fiverr.com Leave a comment
- Hockey great Gordie Howe to release book in October #motownlit #michlit
- Authors & Book Bloggers on Instagram via @jfBookman
- April 7 - Self-Publishing Panel Royal Oak Library - RSVP required via
- Download Your Next eBook from the @DetroitLibrary
- .@CityTalkMag Announcement: Casting Call by @HIDPfilms March29 Metro #Detroit
- TWO GENERATIONS OF POETIC COOL CD RELEASE MARCH 29, 2014 3pm via @onesinglerose #MotownLit
- Help local #MotownLit Author, Yusef Bunchy Shakur (@Z8YBS) on his new endeavor! Plz donate &share w/others #michlit
- Live #Storytelling Event Showcase Social Justice Stories March 21st #Detroit
- O/T: Motor City Connect: #313DLove event on March 13 frm @terrybean #networking
- Meetup update: #MotownWriters Group Monthly topic: Selling/Promoting Yr Ebook March8th(today) 10am-Noon
- The Secret Society Of Twisted Storytellers Presents "SOCIAL JUSTICE" Friday, March 21, 2014 @CHWMAAH #Detroit
- Fifth Annual @DaytonBookExpo Save the Date May 3rd
- o/t: Metro #Detroit Event: 6th Annual I'm Every Woman Expo by Eloquets Event Enterprise March 15th
- o/t: JOIN US AT #REDCARPETBASH w/@habitatdetroit #support #detroit #causes #purpose #oscars
- .@TheCarrCenter Saturday Arts Academy Winter Term Opening Postponed!
- #MichLit Event: Finding My Way Home Feb15 Royal Oak Library
- EVENT: Jan15DRIVEN IV - Book Unveiling & Reception | The Garden Theater #Detroit Frm @michron wsg @andersonanthony
- Today: #MotownWriters w/@MonicaMJones Topic:Momentum for your Muse Jan11th 10am B&N #Detroit #motownlit
Help & Donate
- My book marketing experiment by spending $10 on @Fiverr.com
- April Book Feature: Dreams of Reality #urban #romance #suspense #AmazonPrime
- New Release Review: His Substitute Wife…My Sister by Sylvia Hubbard
- Someone is Telling me a Story
- Character Profile of Parker from His Substitute Wife . . . My Sister, by Sylvia Hubbard
Nat’l Writers Union
Search This Site
|Nicholas C. Rossis on A-Z Guide: How both my books r…|
|Motown Writer’… on Motown Writers Network Feature…|
|Romance Novel Book C… on MotownWriters Author Feature:…|
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- My book marketing experiment by spending $10 on @Fiverr.com Leave a comment bit.ly/1jp8xo0 #mwn 1 hour ago
- The hard part about writing a novel is finishing it. Ernest Hemingway -#quotesnsmiles.com 2 hours ago
- My book marketing experiment by spending $10 on @Fiverr.com - In January I mentioned I was checking out... tmblr.co/Z7W33t1Da_rB7 2 hours ago
- RT @luv410s2: @WBKnoblock @sylviahubbard1 Good Read! I grew up in #Detroit. The city is segmented. There are #PocketsInDetroit that are saf… 3 hours ago
- RT @TheSuccessKing: Kid President's Letter To A New Born On How To Be Awesome In Life: addicted2success.com/videos/kid-pre… 3 hours ago
- ACW Christian Coffee House Poetry Night April 1, 2014Motown Writers Meetup Group The American Christian Writers Detroit Celebrate National Poetry Month with a mini-workshop and open mic performances by local inspirational and motivational poets. $5.00 Registration required for performers Refreshments available for a nominal fee. Detroit, MI 48219 - USA Thursday, April 24 at 6:30 PM Attending: 9 Details: http:/ […]
- Motown Writers Meetup Group Monthly Meetup June 30, 2011Motown Writers Meetup Group (Please forward this to a friend and bring several friends with you.) See ya Sat and please bring a donation to help us out. Also bring your literary challenges, new books to announce and achievements. Networking is key to our survival as writers and authors! This is your chance to learn, network and connect! Detroit, MI 48202 - U […]
- #MotownWriters Monthly January 4, 2014Motown Writers Meetup Group This is the Detroit Motown Writers Meetup where special guest speakers talk about their literary journey, we share our challenges and struggles and we help each other.Want to announce an event? Want to share your book struggles?Want to announce your book's birth?Got a question! Come in! Join us!Donations are asked, but donati […]
- Auburn Hills Writers Group Meeting!! February 5, 2013Motown Writers Meetup Group Writing exercises, discussion, networking and critique every 3rd Thursday at 6:30 at the Auburn Hills Library. Detroit, MI 48227 - USA Thursday, May 15 at 6:30 PM Attending: 1 Details: http://www.meetup.com/michiganliterarynetwork/events/qgfwffyshbtb/
- Nandi's Knowledge Cafe Open Mic Poetry July 13, 2013Recurring Event First start: 2013-07-18 21:00:00 EDT Duration: 10800 Where: 12511 Woodward off of Glendale, in Highland Park Event Status: confirmed Event Description: w/ Torreano Resean Harrison contact https://www.facebook.com/Caesar.Torreano
- Always Brewing Detroit July 13, 2013Recurring Event First start: 2013-07-18 18:30:00 EDT Duration: 9000 Where: 19180 Grand River Ave, Detroit, Michigan 48223 Event Status: confirmed Event Description: Open Mic tonight and every Thursday Always Brewing Detroit! Sign-up starts at 6:30pm, performances start at 7pm. Come and bring a friend! This is an open mic for poets, storytellers, singers/song […]
- Banned Book Week via @OMGFacts July 6, 2013When: Sun 22 Sep 2013 to Sat 28 Sep 2013 Where: EVERYWHERE Event Status: confirmed Event Description: The last week in September is designated as Banned Books Week in honor of great authors that have been challenged by various institutions
- Pen, Pitch, Publish, Profit! April 2, 2013When: Sat 4 May 2013 11:00 to 16:00 EDT Where: 6 Depot Square - Montclair, 07042 Event Status: confirmed Event Description: For details, link here: http://penpitchpublishprofit.eventbrite.com
- Detroit Association of Black Storytellers (DAB) January 21, 2011When: Sat 15 Dec 2012 10:00 to 12:00 ESTReplaces event originally scheduled for: Sat 22 Dec 2012 10:00 Where: Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History - Detroit, MI Event Status: confirmed Event Description: Detroit Association of Black Storytellers (DABS) meets at Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History on the 4th Saturday of each […]
- Link: Hollywood TeesReginald Haynes posted a link to Motown Writers Network's wall: 4 HOT NEW items from www.Hollywoodtees.net Makes a GREAT mothers day gift. Order online by Paypal or call 248-796-1798 or call 248-667-6449.
- Support Reporters without BordersEvery year, some 500 journalists are arrested, 1000 assaulted or threatened, and over 500 media outlets censored. Freedom of information is the foundation of any democracy. Yet almost half of the world’s population is still denied it. Support Reporters without Borders. (This is a promoted post on an unregistered Wallflux-feed)
- Link: Hollywood TeesReginald Haynes posted a link to Motown Writers Network's wall: 4 hot new Tees for mothers day. www.Hollywoodtees.net Order yours today and tell a friend or 10. (1 like)
- Group wall post by Johnna Jojo CollierJohnna Jojo Collier wrote on Motown Writers Network's wall: ☆◆☆◆☆◆☆◆ GET YOUR SET TODAY ☆◆☆◆☆◆☆◆ 1,068 pages! 340,603K WORDS... 6 BOOKS for $0.99!! They are full length novels in the African American Romance and Urban Fiction genres. Love, Sex, Lies is straight up romance and drama! However, once you get to Love Hangover, the action really begins! http: […]
- Group wall post by Johnna Jojo CollierJohnna Jojo Collier wrote on Motown Writers Network's wall: ☆◆☆◆☆◆☆◆ FREE FREE FREE ☆◆☆◆☆◆☆◆ APRIL 18th - 24th GRAB YOUR COPIES TODAY!! http://www.amazon.com//dp/B00IA84UNC
Writer’s Must Have Resources
Synergy Energy: How to Use the Power of Partnerships to Market Your Book, Grow Your Business, and Brand Your Ministry
Dan Poynter's Self-Publishing Manual, Volume 2: How to Write, Print and Sell Your Own Book
Do you have a writer's resource must have? Contact Us!
see more links and partners | click here