Posts Tagged With: Urban Fiction
Scribes for Christ
|Thursday, May 23, 2013
6:30 p.m. – 8:30 p.m.
Greater Grace Temple – Room 200 E
Visitors and guests are welcome
Education, inspiration and fellowship for emerging authors
Inspirationista, Monica Marie Jones
Monica Marie Jones is an author whose published works include
The Ups and Downs of Being Round (Fiction/Self-Help),
Taste My Soul (Poetry), FLOSS (Fiction),
Swag (Urban Fiction) and Sweet Soliloquy (Poetry).
Having written in several genres, Ms. Jones will conduct a workshop that covers many of the bare boned basics of writing. She will also provide answers to the top four questions
emerging writers often have:
*Is it better to outline or write freestyle?
*How do I overcome writer’s block?
*What tools are available to help maximize my productivity?
mailing address is:
Ferndale, Michigan 48220
Where are you from?
I’m originally from New York but I been in Detroit for 6 years now.
Tell us your latest news?
Well the latest and greatest news about J-REAL is I’m back on the scene with my newest release DRAW Part 3 and I have a new motivated energy to take my writing to the next level with a great line up of projects and more on the road book signings in different states.
When and why did you begin writing?
My journey as a writer began through reading I’ve read hundreds of different books, pamphlets, newspapers and magazines. I love the way words have that unique power to tap into the human mind. That’s what made me want to write and use my imagination to tell story’s.
What inspired you to write your first book?
Most of my inspiration for writing comes from just everyday life what people do and what they go through and how they overcome the many adversities that face all walks of life.
How did you come up with the title?
When I think of a title for a project I try to come up with the catchiest metaphors that tie in with the characters and story line. Something that can catch a reader’s attention
Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?
Always I try to put a little nugget of information in every novel dealing with the story and what genre I’m writing from if its Street lit I try to show the consequences of living the fast life and not just the glorification aspect. Real life stuff I always try to use current events
What book are you reading now?
Write now I’m reading a book called TROUBLE, by Ju-Ju Bishop.
What are your current projects?
My next Project that I will be releasing is Bred From Treason and a Hard Price To Pay
Name one entity that you feel supported you outside of family members.
I would have to say I get a lot of support from my Facebook community in fact a lot of my eBooks sales derive from social media
If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your latest book?
I wouldn’t change anything about the way things are going in my writing career I do wish that in the beginning I got out to more events.
Can you share a little of your current work with us?
Yes here is an excerpt from A Hard Price To Pay
. The property was flooded with police and ambulances. The mini mansion was belted in police tape and there was all movement throughout and around Cedric’s home. Ced turned the Montero onto his lawn and slid to a stop while simultaneously jumping from the driver’s side and racing towards the front door. After a few steps he was subdued by a couple of uniformed cops followed by a blank face detective. “Are you Cedric Carter? Are you the boy’s father? We got that name from the boy.”
“Where is he, where is my son?” Hearing about Bugga made Ced start to struggle. “Now hold on one minute, you still have not confirmed who you are,” The detectives face remained expressionless. “What mother fucker, where is my kid?” The Officer wrestled Ced to the ground after almost losing control of him. Then with the order given from the detective one of the officers dug in Ced’s back pocket, retrieving his wallet and tossing it to the detective. Ced kept struggling and cursed, “Man what the fuck is wrong with you pigs?”
Once the detective confirmed Ced’s identity he motioned for the officer to let him up, “Okay, now that we know who you are we can start asking you some questions.
Ced looked at the detective, he was tall, overweight, balding white man who towered over him. Disapproval dripped from the detectives glare. Ced snatched from the officers grip and turned his head towards his porch where he saw his son sitting and being comforted by a strange woman and questioned by who Ced figured to be the detectives partner. Ced began in that direction but again was stopped, this time by the detective himself. He tried to snatch away but the detective’s grip held firm. Ced turned, “Get the fuck off me, I want to get my boy!”
“Your boy is being questioned and with you with him that will only confuse things.”
“What are you questioning him for, where is Grace?”
“You mean the mother?” The detective face softened a touch, “She was in your son’s arms, Mr. Carter, when she died.” She was naked with multiple stab wounds and two gunshot wounds in her lower torso. She also had a gun in her hand, the one we believe killed those two thugs in there. Now the women’s in a bag and the only we can find out anything is from the kid. So until were done with him you are going to stand right here where I can see you. Are you clear?”
Ced tore up his face at the gesture of Grace being in a bag. Who the fuck was this pig to be talking like that about Grace?” “You talking about my wife! What’s your name mother fucker!“ “Don’t you mean your baby mama? And its detective Milhourn,” Milhourn narrowed his eyes, “A better question was why were these thugs looking for you?” Milhourn pauses a second to let the question sink in before he waved it off seeing how calm the man became all of a sudden, how all the tension seemed to relax in his face. The detective hardened, he decided to cut the bullshit. “You fucking drug running scumbags are all the same.”
“Now hold on,” Ced interrupted but felt silent when the detectives finger shot out to within an inch of his face.
“Shut the hell up!” Do you see this neighborhood? How many fucking blacks live on this side?” After a pause you don’t even know….ok the rest you’ll have to but the book
Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?
Yes mostly when I get a case of writers block that makes everything so difficult because I can’t get any projects that I already started finished.
Do you have to travel much concerning your book(s)?
Yes part of being a successful author is getting on the road and traveling to do book signings or just attend events to promote your work.
Who designed the covers?
I come up with the concept for the books and I work with Oddball designs to create the cover. And I also work with Brand Concepts Southeast
What was the hardest part of writing your book?
The hardest part of writing any of the novels I got is creating the character development and what each character role will be in the book.
Do you have any advice for other writers?
The best advice I can give to writers new and old is to study your craft because the book industry evolves constantly with the new technology that’s out. Be professional about your business and stay true to who you are as an individual.
Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?
I just want thank all the readers for their support in my work and welcome and thank all the new readers that take the time to read my books and interviews
Celebrate @ebookweek w/ @monicamjones: FREE @amazonkindle Monday Morning Motivation #MOTOWNLIT #michlit
Just like a good cup of coffee or a warm ray of sunshine, the motivational messages in this book give you that boost that you need to start your week off right. Each chapter will leave you encouraged, inspired and excited about the new week that lies ahead.
About the Author
- Format: Kindle Edition
- File Size: 135 KB
- Publisher: The Literary Loft (October 8, 2011)
- Sold by: Amazon Digital Services
- Language: English
- ASIN: B005TXVWQE
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
- Lending: Enabled
- Free Book: 10 Quick & Easy Recipes For Super busy Moms #kindle via @amazonkindle (motownmommusings.wordpress.com)
- Deceptive Nights – Now Available on @amazonkindle for a Limited Time #Kindle (sylviahubbard.com)
- Coming Soon to @AmazonKindle & Paperback – Pre-Order Your Copy Now! (sylviahubbard.com)
Motown Writers | Michigan Literary Network
Off Site Network Pages
Like Our Facebook Pages!
- For Immediate Release: Live Storytelling Event Showcases Human Spirit Stories #SecretStoryTellers
- Great Holiday Gift for a special child: Rose & the Enchanted Seven by @batchelordavis #children #fantasy #motownlit #michlit #mwn
- Author, Dawne Prochilo @goldendawne1 offers December Writing & Marketing Courses in Troy, Michigan #michlit. RSVP now
- Fwd: FW: Can Book Clubs Thrive in the Digital Age? via @mashables
- Author Jim Ziolowski at @DetroitLibrary, Thurs. Dec. 5! per BookBeat #Michigan #Bookstore #michlit #booksigning
- Free Saturday Event News frm Nat'l Inspiration Role Models Month #NIRMM #Detroit
- .@theWrightMuseum Weekly Update Nov 18-24 #Detroit Events
- Metro #Detroit Readers, book lovers, librarians, book groups and bookworms #MotownLit Nov 8-9
- How to Write a Good Book in 30 Days VIA @jfbookman
- ARTICLE: How to Get Major Companies and Nonprofits to Sponsor The Promotion of Your Book @aBookPublicist
- Metro #Detroit Readers & Writers invited to #MotownLit Jam & Conf Nov 8-9, 2013 www.motownliteraryjam.com
- Rochester Writer Events &News via @talktravel #michlit
- Jack Ryan Franchise Author Tom Clancy Has Passed Away at Age 66
- o/t: Zazzle Poetry Helps You Wear Your Heart on Your Chest via @mashables
- Get Your Code On! Introduction To Word Press via @ThirdEyeGrp Sept 21 #Detroit
- Fwd: Celebrate six new Detroit books - Thursday, Sept. 26
- .@Amazon: No Plans for a Free Smartphone via @mashables
- Press Release - SAFE Empowerment Weekend via @mskalyn
- Ask the national media for advice Tuesday
- Jeff Bezos: It Will Take Years to Fix 'The Washington Post' via @mashables
Help & Donate
- Love Reading Book Series? I have 4 of them you’ll enoy. #Smexy #SensualNoir #Romance #Suspense #SylLit
- #Smexy Feature: #StonesRevenge #SylLit December Readers Highlight #SneakReaders
- Update: Exclusive Books At The Literary World of @SylviaHubbard1 #syllit
- #CyberMonday Deal on #SylLit World 5Books ONLY $1.99 #Amazon #Smashwords
- #BlackFriday Sale on #SylLit World 5Books ONLY $1.99 #Amazon #Smashwords
Nat’l Writers Union
Search This Site
|@SylviaHubbard1 on Author, Dawne Prochilo offers…|
|Author on Author, Dawne Prochilo offers…|
|Author, Dawne Prochi… on Ck out #MichLit Monthly Featur…|
- Michigan Literary Network - Dec 11,2013
- Michigan Literary Network - Dec 04,2013
- #MichLit Radio w/book industry expert @Porter_Anderson - Nov 27,2013
- Michigan Literary Network - Nov 20,2013
- Michigan Literary Network - Nov 13,2013
- Michigan Literary Network - Nov 06,2013
- Michigan Literary Network - Oct 23,2013
- 8th blaze at Heidelberg Project destroys Clock House detroitnews.com/article/201312… #detroit 57 minutes ago
- Below zero. Yep I said it. #Detroit is below zero degrees. (singing) its cold in the D. 1 hour ago
- Michigan Literary Network News is out! paper.li/sylviahubbard1… Stories via @CromaineLibrary @aadl 4 hours ago
- Wish I could make half the world care a bit more and make the other half chill the f... out. @CharlieCurve 7 hours ago
- To Succeed as an Author, Get Your ASK Out There! - thebookdesigner.com/2013/12/bob-ba… via @jfbookman fb.me/3niEjdVQ1 11 hours ago
- Motown Writers Meetup Group Monthly Meetup June 30, 2011Motown Writers Meetup Group (Please forward this to a friend and bring several friends with you.) See ya Sat and please bring a donation to help us out. Also bring your literary challenges, new books to announce and achievements. Networking is key to our survival as writers and authors! This is your chance to learn, network and connect! Detroit, MI 48202 - U […]
- Auburn Hills Writers Group Meeting!! February 5, 2013Motown Writers Meetup Group Writing exercises, discussion, networking and critique every 3rd Thursday at 6:30 at the Auburn Hills Library. Auburn Hills, MI 48326 - USA Thursday, December 19 at 6:30 PM Attending: 4 Details: http://www.meetup.com/michiganliterarynetwork/events/153222432/
- Metro Detroit Scribes for Christ July 22, 2013Motown Writers Meetup Group formerly American Christian Writers Detroit Chapter, Monthly writers meeting. Education and inspiration for aspiring and established writers.$5 Suggested donation at door Detroit, MI 48227 - USA Thursday, December 26 at 6:30 PM Attending: 2 Details: http://www.meetup.com/michiganliterarynetwork/events/dvjglfyrqbjc/
- Motown Writers Meetup Group Monthly Meetup June 30, 2011Motown Writers Meetup Group (Please forward this to a friend and bring several friends with you.) See ya Sat and please bring a donation to help us out. Also bring your literary challenges, new books to announce and achievements. Networking is key to our survival as writers and authors! This is your chance to learn, network and connect! Detroit, MI 48227 - U […]
- Nandi's Knowledge Cafe Open Mic Poetry July 13, 2013Recurring Event First start: 2013-07-18 21:00:00 EDT Duration: 10800 Where: 12511 Woodward off of Glendale, in Highland Park Event Status: confirmed Event Description: w/ Torreano Resean Harrison contact https://www.facebook.com/Caesar.Torreano
- Always Brewing Detroit July 13, 2013Recurring Event First start: 2013-07-18 18:30:00 EDT Duration: 9000 Where: 19180 Grand River Ave, Detroit, Michigan 48223 Event Status: confirmed Event Description: Open Mic tonight and every Thursday Always Brewing Detroit! Sign-up starts at 6:30pm, performances start at 7pm. Come and bring a friend! This is an open mic for poets, storytellers, singers/song […]
- Banned Book Week via @OMGFacts July 6, 2013When: Sun 22 Sep 2013 to Sat 28 Sep 2013 Where: EVERYWHERE Event Status: confirmed Event Description: The last week in September is designated as Banned Books Week in honor of great authors that have been challenged by various institutions
- Pen, Pitch, Publish, Profit! April 2, 2013When: Sat 4 May 2013 11:00 to 16:00 EDT Where: 6 Depot Square - Montclair, 07042 Event Status: confirmed Event Description: For details, link here: http://penpitchpublishprofit.eventbrite.com
- Detroit Association of Black Storytellers (DAB) January 21, 2011When: Sat 15 Dec 2012 10:00 to 12:00 ESTReplaces event originally scheduled for: Sat 22 Dec 2012 10:00 Where: Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History - Detroit, MI Event Status: confirmed Event Description: Detroit Association of Black Storytellers (DABS) meets at Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History on the 4th Saturday of each […]
- Group wall post by Afromerica VAAfromerica VA wrote on Motown Writers Network's wall: Let me explain Boomtown and what it is all about. Boomtown has a ninety-nine percent Black population; which do not mean it is run and operated like an all Black city; it means it is a city without run or rule of white people. There is a grave difference. The common image of a Black-operated city imp […]
- Group wall post by Mike Schoolshirtshop WilliamsMike Schoolshirtshop Williams posted a photo on Motown Writers Network's wall: Give a Memory for Christmas. Perfect for the Proud Alumni on your list. Last day to to special order these shirts an have delivery in time for Christmas is December Sunday 15th. Don't miss out. Call one of our retailers or order on-line TODAY! www.sss1.us/contactus
- Video: Genuine Quality feat. Rick Ross - WinnerRobert Frampton posted a video on Motown Writers Network's wall:
- Link: Bullying...finding the courage to speak out!Adra Robins posted a link to Motown Writers Network's wall: http://adraly.wordpress.com/2013/12/08/bullying-finding-the-courage-to-speak-out/
- Group wall post by Melissa LoveMelissa Love posted a photo on Motown Writers Network's wall: Plotting Your Next Novel Creating a plot can be difficult for some and complex for others. What is a plot? A plot is an author's way of showing readers the story or events as they happen. A successful plot depends greatly on how authors use the characters, storyline and events as they un […]
Writer’s Must Have Resources
Synergy Energy: How to Use the Power of Partnerships to Market Your Book, Grow Your Business, and Brand Your Ministry
Dan Poynter's Self-Publishing Manual, Volume 2: How to Write, Print and Sell Your Own Book
Do you have a writer's resource must have? Contact Us!
see more links and partners | click here