Posts Tagged With: Urban Fiction
Scribes for Christ
|Thursday, May 23, 2013
6:30 p.m. – 8:30 p.m.
Greater Grace Temple – Room 200 E
Visitors and guests are welcome
Education, inspiration and fellowship for emerging authors
Inspirationista, Monica Marie Jones
Monica Marie Jones is an author whose published works include
The Ups and Downs of Being Round (Fiction/Self-Help),
Taste My Soul (Poetry), FLOSS (Fiction),
Swag (Urban Fiction) and Sweet Soliloquy (Poetry).
Having written in several genres, Ms. Jones will conduct a workshop that covers many of the bare boned basics of writing. She will also provide answers to the top four questions
emerging writers often have:
*Is it better to outline or write freestyle?
*How do I overcome writer’s block?
*What tools are available to help maximize my productivity?
mailing address is:
Ferndale, Michigan 48220
Where are you from?
I’m originally from New York but I been in Detroit for 6 years now.
Tell us your latest news?
Well the latest and greatest news about J-REAL is I’m back on the scene with my newest release DRAW Part 3 and I have a new motivated energy to take my writing to the next level with a great line up of projects and more on the road book signings in different states.
When and why did you begin writing?
My journey as a writer began through reading I’ve read hundreds of different books, pamphlets, newspapers and magazines. I love the way words have that unique power to tap into the human mind. That’s what made me want to write and use my imagination to tell story’s.
What inspired you to write your first book?
Most of my inspiration for writing comes from just everyday life what people do and what they go through and how they overcome the many adversities that face all walks of life.
How did you come up with the title?
When I think of a title for a project I try to come up with the catchiest metaphors that tie in with the characters and story line. Something that can catch a reader’s attention
Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?
Always I try to put a little nugget of information in every novel dealing with the story and what genre I’m writing from if its Street lit I try to show the consequences of living the fast life and not just the glorification aspect. Real life stuff I always try to use current events
What book are you reading now?
Write now I’m reading a book called TROUBLE, by Ju-Ju Bishop.
What are your current projects?
My next Project that I will be releasing is Bred From Treason and a Hard Price To Pay
Name one entity that you feel supported you outside of family members.
I would have to say I get a lot of support from my Facebook community in fact a lot of my eBooks sales derive from social media
If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your latest book?
I wouldn’t change anything about the way things are going in my writing career I do wish that in the beginning I got out to more events.
Can you share a little of your current work with us?
Yes here is an excerpt from A Hard Price To Pay
. The property was flooded with police and ambulances. The mini mansion was belted in police tape and there was all movement throughout and around Cedric’s home. Ced turned the Montero onto his lawn and slid to a stop while simultaneously jumping from the driver’s side and racing towards the front door. After a few steps he was subdued by a couple of uniformed cops followed by a blank face detective. “Are you Cedric Carter? Are you the boy’s father? We got that name from the boy.”
“Where is he, where is my son?” Hearing about Bugga made Ced start to struggle. “Now hold on one minute, you still have not confirmed who you are,” The detectives face remained expressionless. “What mother fucker, where is my kid?” The Officer wrestled Ced to the ground after almost losing control of him. Then with the order given from the detective one of the officers dug in Ced’s back pocket, retrieving his wallet and tossing it to the detective. Ced kept struggling and cursed, “Man what the fuck is wrong with you pigs?”
Once the detective confirmed Ced’s identity he motioned for the officer to let him up, “Okay, now that we know who you are we can start asking you some questions.
Ced looked at the detective, he was tall, overweight, balding white man who towered over him. Disapproval dripped from the detectives glare. Ced snatched from the officers grip and turned his head towards his porch where he saw his son sitting and being comforted by a strange woman and questioned by who Ced figured to be the detectives partner. Ced began in that direction but again was stopped, this time by the detective himself. He tried to snatch away but the detective’s grip held firm. Ced turned, “Get the fuck off me, I want to get my boy!”
“Your boy is being questioned and with you with him that will only confuse things.”
“What are you questioning him for, where is Grace?”
“You mean the mother?” The detective face softened a touch, “She was in your son’s arms, Mr. Carter, when she died.” She was naked with multiple stab wounds and two gunshot wounds in her lower torso. She also had a gun in her hand, the one we believe killed those two thugs in there. Now the women’s in a bag and the only we can find out anything is from the kid. So until were done with him you are going to stand right here where I can see you. Are you clear?”
Ced tore up his face at the gesture of Grace being in a bag. Who the fuck was this pig to be talking like that about Grace?” “You talking about my wife! What’s your name mother fucker!“ “Don’t you mean your baby mama? And its detective Milhourn,” Milhourn narrowed his eyes, “A better question was why were these thugs looking for you?” Milhourn pauses a second to let the question sink in before he waved it off seeing how calm the man became all of a sudden, how all the tension seemed to relax in his face. The detective hardened, he decided to cut the bullshit. “You fucking drug running scumbags are all the same.”
“Now hold on,” Ced interrupted but felt silent when the detectives finger shot out to within an inch of his face.
“Shut the hell up!” Do you see this neighborhood? How many fucking blacks live on this side?” After a pause you don’t even know….ok the rest you’ll have to but the book
Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?
Yes mostly when I get a case of writers block that makes everything so difficult because I can’t get any projects that I already started finished.
Do you have to travel much concerning your book(s)?
Yes part of being a successful author is getting on the road and traveling to do book signings or just attend events to promote your work.
Who designed the covers?
I come up with the concept for the books and I work with Oddball designs to create the cover. And I also work with Brand Concepts Southeast
What was the hardest part of writing your book?
The hardest part of writing any of the novels I got is creating the character development and what each character role will be in the book.
Do you have any advice for other writers?
The best advice I can give to writers new and old is to study your craft because the book industry evolves constantly with the new technology that’s out. Be professional about your business and stay true to who you are as an individual.
Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?
I just want thank all the readers for their support in my work and welcome and thank all the new readers that take the time to read my books and interviews
Celebrate @ebookweek w/ @monicamjones: FREE @amazonkindle Monday Morning Motivation #MOTOWNLIT #michlit
Just like a good cup of coffee or a warm ray of sunshine, the motivational messages in this book give you that boost that you need to start your week off right. Each chapter will leave you encouraged, inspired and excited about the new week that lies ahead.
About the Author
- Format: Kindle Edition
- File Size: 135 KB
- Publisher: The Literary Loft (October 8, 2011)
- Sold by: Amazon Digital Services
- Language: English
- ASIN: B005TXVWQE
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
- Lending: Enabled
- Free Book: 10 Quick & Easy Recipes For Super busy Moms #kindle via @amazonkindle (motownmommusings.wordpress.com)
- Deceptive Nights – Now Available on @amazonkindle for a Limited Time #Kindle (sylviahubbard.com)
- Coming Soon to @AmazonKindle & Paperback – Pre-Order Your Copy Now! (sylviahubbard.com)
Motown Writers | Michigan Literary Network
Off Site Network Pages
Like Our Facebook Pages!
- Hockey great Gordie Howe to release book in October #motownlit #michlit
- Authors & Book Bloggers on Instagram via @jfBookman
- April 7 - Self-Publishing Panel Royal Oak Library - RSVP required via
- Download Your Next eBook from the @DetroitLibrary
- .@CityTalkMag Announcement: Casting Call by @HIDPfilms March29 Metro #Detroit
- TWO GENERATIONS OF POETIC COOL CD RELEASE MARCH 29, 2014 3pm via @onesinglerose #MotownLit
- Help local #MotownLit Author, Yusef Bunchy Shakur (@Z8YBS) on his new endeavor! Plz donate &share w/others #michlit
- Live #Storytelling Event Showcase Social Justice Stories March 21st #Detroit
- O/T: Motor City Connect: #313DLove event on March 13 frm @terrybean #networking
- Meetup update: #MotownWriters Group Monthly topic: Selling/Promoting Yr Ebook March8th(today) 10am-Noon
- The Secret Society Of Twisted Storytellers Presents "SOCIAL JUSTICE" Friday, March 21, 2014 @CHWMAAH #Detroit
- Fifth Annual @DaytonBookExpo Save the Date May 3rd
- o/t: Metro #Detroit Event: 6th Annual I'm Every Woman Expo by Eloquets Event Enterprise March 15th
- o/t: JOIN US AT #REDCARPETBASH w/@habitatdetroit #support #detroit #causes #purpose #oscars
- .@TheCarrCenter Saturday Arts Academy Winter Term Opening Postponed!
- #MichLit Event: Finding My Way Home Feb15 Royal Oak Library
- EVENT: Jan15DRIVEN IV - Book Unveiling & Reception | The Garden Theater #Detroit Frm @michron wsg @andersonanthony
- Today: #MotownWriters w/@MonicaMJones Topic:Momentum for your Muse Jan11th 10am B&N #Detroit #motownlit
- NWUsletter Jan, 2014 - Looking Forward #NWUDetroit #michlit #motownlit #mwn
Help & Donate
- New Release Review: His Substitute Wife…My Sister by Sylvia Hubbard
- Someone is Telling me a Story
- Character Profile of Parker from His Substitute Wife . . . My Sister, by Sylvia Hubbard
- “A Social Frenzy Blog Tour Stop for~ Author: Sylvia Hubbard And Her Book,”His Substitute Wife…My Sister” & Fabulosity Reads Book Tours”!
- Save the Date: Love, Romance & Intrigue… in #Detroit June 21, 2014 #book #event #networking #motownlit
Nat’l Writers Union
Search This Site
|Nicholas C. Rossis on A-Z Guide: How both my books r…|
|Motown Writer’… on Motown Writers Network Feature…|
|Romance Novel Book C… on MotownWriters Author Feature:…|
- RT @MasqCrew: "Fantastic, Breath Taking" His Substitute Wife... My Sister by @sylviahubbard1 #erotica bit.ly/1m8fP4F 21 minutes ago
- RT @WeLoveKink: Giveaway....$15 up for grabs for the @Sylviahubbard1 HIS SUBSTITUTE WIFE...mt sister 3:1 tour. …osityreadsbookpromotions.blogspot.com/2014/04/giveaw… 22 minutes ago
- RT @TheShowerMovie: Looks like the infection has already spread to #Detroit even before our Motor City Nightmares screening! http://t.co/B4… 38 minutes ago
- Blah Blah Blah Day @ChasesCalendar (I seriously didn't make this up.) 1 hour ago
- RT @EDandas: Giveaway....$15 up for grabs for the @Sylviahubbard1 HIS SUBSTITUTE WIFE...mt sister 3:1 tour. …osityreadsbookpromotions.blogspot.com/2014/04/giveaw… 1 hour ago
- Auburn Hills Writers Group Meeting!! February 5, 2013Motown Writers Meetup Group Writing exercises, discussion, networking and critique every 3rd Thursday at 6:30 at the Auburn Hills Library. Auburn Hills, MI 48326 - USA Thursday, April 17 at 6:30 PM Attending: 3 Details: http://www.meetup.com/michiganliterarynetwork/events/176683472/
- ACW Christian Coffee House Poetry Night April 1, 2014Motown Writers Meetup Group The American Christian Writers Detroit Celebrate National Poetry Month with a mini-workshop and open mic performances by local inspirational and motivational poets. $5.00 Registration required for performers Refreshments available for a nominal fee. Detroit, MI 48219 - USA Thursday, April 24 at 6:30 PM Attending: 7 Details: http:/ […]
- Motown Writers Meetup Group Monthly Meetup June 30, 2011Motown Writers Meetup Group (Please forward this to a friend and bring several friends with you.) See ya Sat and please bring a donation to help us out. Also bring your literary challenges, new books to announce and achievements. Networking is key to our survival as writers and authors! This is your chance to learn, network and connect! Detroit, MI 48202 - U […]
- #MotownWriters Monthly January 4, 2014Motown Writers Meetup Group This is the Detroit Motown Writers Meetup where special guest speakers talk about their literary journey, we share our challenges and struggles and we help each other.Want to announce an event? Want to share your book struggles?Want to announce your book's birth?Got a question! Come in! Join us!Donations are asked, but donati […]
- Nandi's Knowledge Cafe Open Mic Poetry July 13, 2013Recurring Event First start: 2013-07-18 21:00:00 EDT Duration: 10800 Where: 12511 Woodward off of Glendale, in Highland Park Event Status: confirmed Event Description: w/ Torreano Resean Harrison contact https://www.facebook.com/Caesar.Torreano
- Always Brewing Detroit July 13, 2013Recurring Event First start: 2013-07-18 18:30:00 EDT Duration: 9000 Where: 19180 Grand River Ave, Detroit, Michigan 48223 Event Status: confirmed Event Description: Open Mic tonight and every Thursday Always Brewing Detroit! Sign-up starts at 6:30pm, performances start at 7pm. Come and bring a friend! This is an open mic for poets, storytellers, singers/song […]
- Banned Book Week via @OMGFacts July 6, 2013When: Sun Sep 22, 2013 to Sat Sep 28, 2013 Where: EVERYWHERE Event Status: confirmed Event Description: The last week in September is designated as Banned Books Week in honor of great authors that have been challenged by various institutions
- Pen, Pitch, Publish, Profit! April 2, 2013When: Sat May 4, 2013 11am to 4pm EDT Where: 6 Depot Square - Montclair, 07042 Event Status: confirmed Event Description: For details, link here: http://penpitchpublishprofit.eventbrite.com
- Detroit Association of Black Storytellers (DAB) January 21, 2011When: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10am to 12pm ESTReplaces event originally scheduled for: Sat Dec 22, 2012 10am Where: Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History - Detroit, MI Event Status: confirmed Event Description: Detroit Association of Black Storytellers (DABS) meets at Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History on the 4th Saturday of each m […]
- Group wall post by Torreano Resean HarrisonTorreano Resean Harrison posted a photo on Motown Writers Network's wall: Its going down TONIGHT at NANDI'S KNOWLEDGE CAFE' from 9pm to 12am. We are located at 12511 Woodward off of Glendale, in Highland Park. Our featured poet for this week is poet & new author L.M Howard She will be going all in for her poetry book release feature. Come […]
- Link: Tenita Johnson | So It Is WrittenTenita Bestseller Johnson posted a link to Motown Writers Network's wall: Need an editor for your next project? Visit www.soitiswritten.net to get started today! (1 like)
- Link: Love, Lies & ConsequencesCassandra Carter posted a link to Motown Writers Network's wall: Written by MWN’s own Cassandra Carter, “Love, Lies & Consequences (The Fast Life Sequel)” is an unpredictable page-turner packed with drama and romance! Follow forbidden lovers Kyra and Justin as they fight to keep their love alive. Entangled in secrets, lies, and sabotage, it doesn […]
- Group wall post by Johnna Jojo CollierJohnna Jojo Collier wrote on Motown Writers Network's wall: ☆◆IT'S BACK....FOR A LIMITED TIME ONLY!! ☆◆ ☆◆6 NOVELS FOR $0.99!!! ☆◆ DOWNLOAD YOUR BOXSET TODAY!! http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J08L9L2
- Group wall post by Johnna Jojo CollierJohnna Jojo Collier wrote on Motown Writers Network's wall: Stay in the know Follow Phoenix Daniels today!! Send her a friend request on her Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/tha.phoenix.1 or join her fan page Ask Phoenix... while your there hit "LIKE"! Thanks! Fan Page: http://www.facebook.com/AskphoenixD
Writer’s Must Have Resources
Synergy Energy: How to Use the Power of Partnerships to Market Your Book, Grow Your Business, and Brand Your Ministry
Dan Poynter's Self-Publishing Manual, Volume 2: How to Write, Print and Sell Your Own Book
Do you have a writer's resource must have? Contact Us!
see more links and partners | click here