Posts Tagged With: story
Where are you from?
I’m originally from New York but I been in Detroit for 6 years now.
Tell us your latest news?
Well the latest and greatest news about J-REAL is I’m back on the scene with my newest release DRAW Part 3 and I have a new motivated energy to take my writing to the next level with a great line up of projects and more on the road book signings in different states.
When and why did you begin writing?
My journey as a writer began through reading I’ve read hundreds of different books, pamphlets, newspapers and magazines. I love the way words have that unique power to tap into the human mind. That’s what made me want to write and use my imagination to tell story’s.
What inspired you to write your first book?
Most of my inspiration for writing comes from just everyday life what people do and what they go through and how they overcome the many adversities that face all walks of life.
How did you come up with the title?
When I think of a title for a project I try to come up with the catchiest metaphors that tie in with the characters and story line. Something that can catch a reader’s attention
Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?
Always I try to put a little nugget of information in every novel dealing with the story and what genre I’m writing from if its Street lit I try to show the consequences of living the fast life and not just the glorification aspect. Real life stuff I always try to use current events
What book are you reading now?
Write now I’m reading a book called TROUBLE, by Ju-Ju Bishop.
What are your current projects?
My next Project that I will be releasing is Bred From Treason and a Hard Price To Pay
Name one entity that you feel supported you outside of family members.
I would have to say I get a lot of support from my Facebook community in fact a lot of my eBooks sales derive from social media
If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your latest book?
I wouldn’t change anything about the way things are going in my writing career I do wish that in the beginning I got out to more events.
Can you share a little of your current work with us?
Yes here is an excerpt from A Hard Price To Pay
. The property was flooded with police and ambulances. The mini mansion was belted in police tape and there was all movement throughout and around Cedric’s home. Ced turned the Montero onto his lawn and slid to a stop while simultaneously jumping from the driver’s side and racing towards the front door. After a few steps he was subdued by a couple of uniformed cops followed by a blank face detective. “Are you Cedric Carter? Are you the boy’s father? We got that name from the boy.”
“Where is he, where is my son?” Hearing about Bugga made Ced start to struggle. “Now hold on one minute, you still have not confirmed who you are,” The detectives face remained expressionless. “What mother fucker, where is my kid?” The Officer wrestled Ced to the ground after almost losing control of him. Then with the order given from the detective one of the officers dug in Ced’s back pocket, retrieving his wallet and tossing it to the detective. Ced kept struggling and cursed, “Man what the fuck is wrong with you pigs?”
Once the detective confirmed Ced’s identity he motioned for the officer to let him up, “Okay, now that we know who you are we can start asking you some questions.
Ced looked at the detective, he was tall, overweight, balding white man who towered over him. Disapproval dripped from the detectives glare. Ced snatched from the officers grip and turned his head towards his porch where he saw his son sitting and being comforted by a strange woman and questioned by who Ced figured to be the detectives partner. Ced began in that direction but again was stopped, this time by the detective himself. He tried to snatch away but the detective’s grip held firm. Ced turned, “Get the fuck off me, I want to get my boy!”
“Your boy is being questioned and with you with him that will only confuse things.”
“What are you questioning him for, where is Grace?”
“You mean the mother?” The detective face softened a touch, “She was in your son’s arms, Mr. Carter, when she died.” She was naked with multiple stab wounds and two gunshot wounds in her lower torso. She also had a gun in her hand, the one we believe killed those two thugs in there. Now the women’s in a bag and the only we can find out anything is from the kid. So until were done with him you are going to stand right here where I can see you. Are you clear?”
Ced tore up his face at the gesture of Grace being in a bag. Who the fuck was this pig to be talking like that about Grace?” “You talking about my wife! What’s your name mother fucker!“ “Don’t you mean your baby mama? And its detective Milhourn,” Milhourn narrowed his eyes, “A better question was why were these thugs looking for you?” Milhourn pauses a second to let the question sink in before he waved it off seeing how calm the man became all of a sudden, how all the tension seemed to relax in his face. The detective hardened, he decided to cut the bullshit. “You fucking drug running scumbags are all the same.”
“Now hold on,” Ced interrupted but felt silent when the detectives finger shot out to within an inch of his face.
“Shut the hell up!” Do you see this neighborhood? How many fucking blacks live on this side?” After a pause you don’t even know….ok the rest you’ll have to but the book
Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?
Yes mostly when I get a case of writers block that makes everything so difficult because I can’t get any projects that I already started finished.
Do you have to travel much concerning your book(s)?
Yes part of being a successful author is getting on the road and traveling to do book signings or just attend events to promote your work.
Who designed the covers?
I come up with the concept for the books and I work with Oddball designs to create the cover. And I also work with Brand Concepts Southeast
What was the hardest part of writing your book?
The hardest part of writing any of the novels I got is creating the character development and what each character role will be in the book.
Do you have any advice for other writers?
The best advice I can give to writers new and old is to study your craft because the book industry evolves constantly with the new technology that’s out. Be professional about your business and stay true to who you are as an individual.
Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?
I just want thank all the readers for their support in my work and welcome and thank all the new readers that take the time to read my books and interviews
Call for Metro Detroit Community Groups & Authors With Purpose. Would like presentations 4August Meet & Greet
Essence of Motown Literary Meet and Greet is geared to kick off our conference season in an effort to raise funds and register people for the conference.
In August, we dedicate our usual writers discussion at Barnes and Nobles readers writers & community to come together in an effort to increase awareness for the needs in Metro Detroit.
We invite non profits, libraries and authors with purpose to come out to speak about their project and network with the local literary community. For people with events this will be your chance to commune and speak with leaders in the literary community, meet local authors and display your fliers and materials on our promotional table.
For us, we hope you come with donations for our conference. We are hoping this year to making our writing portion free through grants, but we still need location fees, lunch sponsorships, tables fees and so forth so we use the Meet and Greet as our initial fund raiser.
This year, there will be only five author slots available. Payment for these slots will consists of 5 books by the author and $20 dollars.
Schedule of Events will include:
MEETING local authors
NETWORKING with local community leaders
GIVING to help strengthen the Metro Detroit literary community
WINNING books, e-reading devices & more!
First 50 participants registered will receive a CD filled with quick reads! Register now!!!
Community Leader/Author with Purpose
b4 registering, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with a presentation proposal
Author Vendor – see below
Your book MUST be ordered thru B&N. You must arrange to have them order the book no later than Aug 1st to have them available in the store. Call (313) 577-2436. You MUST donate 5 books to MWN (for later giveaways)
Excerpt Promo for Readers
Authors get a chance 4yr work to be seen in front of Metro Detroit Readers. Submit a pdf with the cover, bio for author, copyright statement and maximum of three chapters to email@example.com
c/o Motown Writers Network
PO Box 43439
Detroit, MI 48243
REGISTER/RSVP AT: http://motownlitmeetgreet2011.eventbrite.com/
See previous videos from Meet & Greet
Motown Writers | Michigan Literary Network
Off Site Network Pages
Like Our Facebook Pages!
- WRITING CONTEST from Rochester Writers... DEADLINE COMING SOON #MichLit plz share
- You're invited to The Red Ink Conference (Mar 28, 2015)
- Fwd: [writers-542] Meetup details changed: Motown Writers Monthly Meetup Group Monthly LOCATION CHANGE:DIA
- From Sylvia Hubbard
- #MotownWriters Literary Monthly @Meetup: Gift Exchange| End of the Year Announcements?Unsure of what to do?
- Re: Sylvia Hubbard
- TODAY: Learn to Brand/Publish Your Book w/Pam Perry & Sylvia Hubbard #Detroit
- Detroit Lions Receiver Calvin Johnson Mom, Dr. Arica Johnson, Inspires at Women's Event in Novi | PRLog
- Windsor International Writers Conference
- 11th Annual Motown Literary Meet & Greet B&N WSU Aug 9th #motownlit
- Social Media for authors Aug 2nd Workshop hosted by @DetWkgWriters Space still avail #motownlit
- Fwd: WRITE FOR CHICKEN SOUP - NEW TOPICS
- Fwd: Call for Authors and Sponsors for the Dayton Book Expo Author Pavilion at Dayton Women's Fair
- [The-Detroit-Renegade-Filmmakers] SNL's Film Unit Editor's editing workshop July 25th
- He's Scared, She's Scared Updated Press Release June 17th Detroit Event #motownlit #michlit
- Save the Date: Love, Romance &Intrigue...BOOK LAUNCH in #Detroit June 21 #book #event #networking #motownlit
- He's Scared, She's Scared Updated Press Release June 17th Detroit Event #motownlit #michlit
- Monday Motivation UrbanNation Radio w/ @MonicaMJones wsg @SylviaHubbard June 9th Tune In!
- #MotownWriters w/@MonicaMJones Topic:Momentum for your Muse 5/10 WSU B&N #detroit
- Detroit Native to Host Book Signing at Arab American National Museum Saturday, April 26, 2014
Help & Donate
- #WIP #Ravenous: Author’s Note 2 #amreading #amwriting #JustWriteIt #Wattpad
- AuthorsNote: Ravenous: Taking Care of Him Book 1… #amwriting #amreading #wattpad
- Check out the entire Mistaken Identity Series! Including the new release! #syllit #amreading
- Pay w/a Tweet (or FB share) & Get FREE #DiaryOfA…by @sylviahubbard1 at #SyllLit | Why I write 3rd person?
- New release: Mistaken Identity III: The Perfect woman For Them #amreading #syllit
Nat’l Writers Union
Search This Site
|metta4ricwordz on Notes frm #MotownWriters @Meet…|
|kaimann1 on Motown Writers Network Author…|
|metta4ricwordz on The Red Ink Conference: The Pr…|
- Michigan Literary Network Radio 2/18/15 w/Mary Eatmon
- Michigan Literary Network Radio #MichLit #MotownWriters
- Michigan Literary Network 2/4/15 w/Anthony Brogdon
- Michigan Literary Network 1/28/15 with Marsha Music
- Michigan Literary Network 1/21/15 w/Keith & Pamela Owens
- Michigan Literary Network
- Michigan Literary Network 01/07/2015 Dr. Eddie Connor
- RT @Creativeforlife: New on the blog, an interview w/ Henry L. Jones who will be our featured poet at Poet's Corner 2/26 http://t.co/AB8MxA… 7 hours ago
- RT @FreeInDetroit: #Weekend #FF @sylviahubbard1 @LCPizzaKit @ThriftyJinxy @chrisbeck00 @AlohaArleen Checkout our Current #Giveaway http://t… 7 hours ago
- RT @ScriblicalVibez: Get the series "A Little Bit of Sin" by @sylviahubbard1 free on #KindleUnlimited ow.ly/Jr4Jn #suspence #rom… 7 hours ago
- RT @randimyles2go: I LOVE YOU @sylviahubbard1! Congrats on your awards! @Habitat_org #habbieawards #habitatdetroit #FB 7 hours ago
- RT @DorethiaConner: Grateful to @MSEnthusiast @Elle_CM @CentsToMe @YoungFinances @romeojeremiah @sylviahubbard1 @AdwoaCamara for the #Money… 7 hours ago
- American Christian Writers/Anointed Pen Monthly Writers Roundup February 10, 2015Motown Writers Meetup Group "From Self Published to Simon & Schuster" Detroit's own National Best Selling author Kim Brooks is the guest speaker at this month's American Christian Writers meeting. *$5 fee for members, $10 for guests and visitors. *If you attended at least three ACW/Anointed Pen meetings or workshops in 2014 you'r […]
- Motown Writers Meetup Group Monthly Meetup June 30, 2011Motown Writers Meetup Group (Please forward this to a friend and bring several friends with you.) See ya Sat and please bring a donation to help us out. Also bring your literary challenges, new books to announce and achievements. Networking is key to our survival as writers and authors! This is your chance to learn, network and connect! Detroit, MI 48202 - U […]
- #MotownWriters Monthly January 5, 2015Motown Writers Meetup Group This is the Detroit Motown Writers Meetup where special guest speakers talk about their literary journey, we share our challenges and struggles and we help each other. Want to announce an event? Want to share your book struggles? Want to announce your book's birth? Got a question! Come in! Join us! Donations are asked, but do […]
- Freelance Marketplace Writers' Group February 17, 2012Motown Writers Meetup Group This Rochester based group is open to all new, working, and published writers, photographers, and illustrators. All genres welcome and free to attend. We are NOT a critique group - we discuss the business of writing. Topics and guests - we meet the third Tuesday of the month - come once, once in a while, or every time! Rochester H […]
- Nandi's Knowledge Cafe Open Mic Poetry July 13, 2013Recurring Event First start: 2013-07-18 21:00:00 EDT Duration: 10800 Where: 12511 Woodward off of Glendale, in Highland Park Event Status: confirmed Event Description: w/ Torreano Resean Harrison contact https://www.facebook.com/Caesar.Torreano
- Always Brewing Detroit July 13, 2013Recurring Event First start: 2013-07-18 18:30:00 EDT Duration: 9000 Where: 19180 Grand River Ave, Detroit, Michigan 48223 Event Status: confirmed Event Description: Open Mic tonight and every Thursday Always Brewing Detroit! Sign-up starts at 6:30pm, performances start at 7pm. Come and bring a friend! This is an open mic for poets, storytellers, singers/song […]
- Banned Book Week via @OMGFacts July 6, 2013When: Sun Sep 22, 2013 to Sat Sep 28, 2013 Where: EVERYWHERE Event Status: confirmed Event Description: The last week in September is designated as Banned Books Week in honor of great authors that have been challenged by various institutions
- Pen, Pitch, Publish, Profit! April 2, 2013When: Sat May 4, 2013 11am to 4pm EDT Where: 6 Depot Square - Montclair, 07042 Event Status: confirmed Event Description: For details, link here: http://penpitchpublishprofit.eventbrite.com
- Detroit Association of Black Storytellers (DAB) January 21, 2011When: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10am to 12pm ESTReplaces event originally scheduled for: Sat Dec 22, 2012 10am Where: Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History - Detroit, MI Event Status: confirmed Event Description: Detroit Association of Black Storytellers (DABS) meets at Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History on the 4th Saturday of each m […]
- Group wall post by Je McClainJe McClain posted a photo on Motown Writers Network's wall: "Poetry In Motion" book by Je' McClain Hitting shelves soon..
- Group wall post by MsMichel MooreMsMichel Moore posted a photo on Motown Writers Network's wall: Simone knew if she’d played with fire; she ran the risk of getting burned. Living large off the “paternity scam” of a lifetime, Ms. Thang had two “baby daddy’s” cashing her out for her infant son. Unfortunately, the streets began to talk and the “manipulative mother’s” luck taps out. Not in […]
- Easy-peasy reStructuredText-converterWallflux Clearinghouse provides a rich text to reStructredText-converter. Partly because we use it ourselves, partly because rst is very transparent in displaying where links are going, and the format of choice for email messages: https://clearinghouse.wallflux.com/rst/ (This is a promoted post on an unregistered Wallflux-feed)
- Group wall post by Johnna Jojo CollierJohnna Jojo Collier posted a photo on Motown Writers Network's wall: Jessica Watkins Presents... ★NEW RELEASE ALERT★ They Don't Know by Tiarra Walker Read it for FREE on Kindle Unlimited!! LaShonn Green is a savvy business woman, who wants to have her cake and eat it too, not knowing that her first bite may be her last. Young, ambitious, and juggli […]
- Group wall post by Danielle A StewartDanielle A Stewart posted a photo on Author Jai Ellis's wall: You can check out Jai Ellis' work by clicking these links: Amzn: http://www.amazon.com/Jai-Ellis/e/B008IYRB7A http://www.missjaiellis.com/#!smashwords/c1n42
Writer’s Must Have Resources
Synergy Energy: How to Use the Power of Partnerships to Market Your Book, Grow Your Business, and Brand Your Ministry
Dan Poynter's Self-Publishing Manual, Volume 2: How to Write, Print and Sell Your Own Book
Do you have a writer's resource must have? Contact Us!
see more links and partners | click here