Posts Tagged With: Teacher
Empowering people to overcome obstacles and walk in their unique purpose is the real life message shared by Eddie Connor, who is a 15-year cancer survivor.
Eddie is a resident of Detroit, Michigan but grew up in Kingston, Jamaica.
As a product of a divorced family, Eddie realizes that he was not born with a “silver spoon” but discovered strength in the midst of struggle.
As an Author, Evangelist, Motivational Speaker, Poet, Political Advisor, Teacher, and TV Correspondent on CBS/CW 50, Eddie Connor shares his story of overcoming cancer in his three books: Purposefully Prepared to Persevere, Collections of Reflections: Symphonies of Strength – Volumes 1-3, and E.CON the ICON: from Pop Culture to President Barack Obama (www.eddieconnor.com).
Eddie Connor is a graduate of Eastern Michigan University, having earned a Bachelor of Science in Secondary Education, with a focus in History. He has also earned a Master of Arts Degree in Education from Marygrove College, as a Reading and Literacy Specialist.
He has garnered prestigious honors for his community activism and role model leadership, such as the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Humanitarian Award, Eastern Michigan University President For a Day, the Black Male Engagement Leadership Award, and named one of the top 100 leaders in “Who’s Who in Black Detroit.”
Over the years, Eddie has encouraged youth to overcome life’s obstacles on his radio program, “Youth On The March” being broadcast throughout the United States and Caribbean, to more than 25 million people.
Eddie desires to educate and empower the next generation. He has launched a literacy initiative “Boys 2 Books” which is designed to combat the school-to-prison pipeline, by empowering young males via life skills and literacy. The program has been endorsed by the United States Congress.
From Cancer to Conqueror to more than Conqueror, God has truly given Eddie Connor a voice to reach individuals of all ages and backgrounds with a message that you can overcome any obstacle.
Join us today as we feature author Kimmie Thomas on the Michigan Literary Network Blogtalk radio show. She will be talking about her new book Nursing Dr. Miller. Check out her bio below.
Kimmie Thomas is a native Detroiter. She is a writer, teacher, mother, and wife. Her first love has always been reading and writing. She has been motivated by writers such as Donald Goines, Maya Angelou, Zane and E. Lynn Harris. Kimmie has worked as a psychiatric nurse for more than 10 years. She uses her vast knowledge of mental health to make her characters real for her readers.
This Side of Crazy is her debute novel. She is also featured in an Anthology, Rough and Raw. Check out her latest book, Nursing Dr. Miller. Her current writing project is called House of Assignation.
Book Description: Do you know what goes on in a hospital? Would you believe that sex, lies and deceit are ever present even while you lay ill in you hospital bed? You may be surprised to find out that the soap operas you watch are not as far fetched as you may think. This story may not be Gray’s Anatomy but it will curl your toes just as much. Gregory Miller, MD is tall dark and handsome. He single and looking for love and the nurses at Kingdom Hospital just want to love him back. Is sex and a good time enough for Dr. Miller? Follow him and his fellow doctors and nurses as they try to find love and a good time while saving lives
As the Motown Writers Network feature poets this April, we cannot forget about one of Detroit’s greatest poets, David Blair. David Blair was an award-winning, multi-faceted artist: singer-songwriter, poet, writer, performer, musician, community activist and teacher. Born Sept. 19, 1967, he grew up in Newton, N.J., but called Detroit his adopted home. Blair performed all over the world and has friends on almost every continent. Blair’s work and life leave an indelible impression on the Detroit community as well as all of the communities he touched.
A 2010 Callaloo Fellow and a National Poetry Slam Champion, Blair’s first book of poetry, Moonwalking, was recently released by Penmanship Books. Blair, as a solo artist, and with The Urban Folk Collective, self-released more than seven records in the last ten years. His most recent album, The Line, with his band The Boyfriends, was released in 2010 on Repeatable Silence Records.
He was nominated for seven Detroit Music Awards, including a 2007 nod for Outstanding Acoustic Artist. He was named Real Detroit Weekly Readers Poll’s Best Solo Artist and The Metro Times Best Urban Folk Poet. In 2007, he also won the Seattle-based BENT Writing Institute Mentor Award. As well as being the recipient of numerous awards, he taught classes and lectured on poetry and music in Detroit Public Schools, The Ruth Ellis Center, Hannan House Senior Center, the YMCA of Detroit, and at various universities, colleges and high schools across the country.
For more information about the life of David Blair go to http://dblair.org/
Motown Writers | Michigan Literary Network
Off Site Network Pages
Like Our Facebook Pages!
- #MichLit Diva & Author, Sylvia Hubbard to keynote 2016 @ The Midwest Writers Conference via @liljohndana. REGISTER NOW
- ConClave 39 will be October 9-11, 2015 in Dearborn, MI! #michlit #motownlit
- July 30th - The Artistry of Finance: Financial Workshop for Artist
- Writers' Group, Writing Contest, Conference Registration Opens via @talktravel #michlit @meetup #motownwriters
- #MichLit Diva & Author, Sylvia Hubbard to keynote 2016 @ The Midwest Writers Conference via @liljohndana. REGISTER NOW
- Today July11th,10am #MotownWriters @DetroitLibrary w/@KeithDYoung: #Storytelling #amwriting #PathoftheHero #michlit
- Fwd: Auburn Hills Writers' June Session
- Get a discount on business cards, stationary & more at @Vistaprint
- #MotownWriters Monthly: Summer Literary Plans | Sat, June 13th
- What's Your Next Play? @echomedianow #AmMarketing
- plz take a moment and support # Detroit Author Yusef Shakur
- Sylvia gave you a voucher for a service on Fiverr
- PR:Hear Why This Author Wrote a Book Called "Crazy Hot!"
- Auburn Hills Writers' May Session
- RochesterWriters.cm Writing Group & Summer Writing contest via @talktravel
- from: Sylvia Hubbard
- The Alcona Writers Retreat will run June 4-7 in Alcona County
- Detroit Working Writers Wants to read your work... Deadline April 10th
- #MotownWriters Monthly @DetroitLibrary 3/14 Using video and audio to promote
Help & Donate
- Update: Exclusive Books ONLY At The Literary World of @SylviaHubbard1 #syllit
- Being devious…. Out of the box #plotting. #amwriting #ravenous
- #Smashwords Summer Sale: #HisSubstituteWife Book One FREE w/#GoogleBooks download instructions. Plz share & RT #mondayblogs
- The Mysterious Mr. Black has overtaken my bestsellers list on Amazon. Do you know his secret?
- Have you tasted a #LittleBitOfSin? #Free Samples, #Prime & #KindleUnlimted Reads #amreading
Nat’l Writers Union
Search This Site
|Nicholas C. Rossis on How to successfully promote yo…|
|d78hill on Being Your Own Publicist…|
|@SylviaHubbard1 on Got Books? Help Strengthen Det…|
- Michigan Literary Network Radio 7/29/15-guest Diana Hirsch
- Michigan Literary Network 7/22/15-guest William Burkholder
- Michigan Literary Network Radio, 7/15/15 w/guest Keith Young
- Michigan Literary Network Radio 7/8/15 w/guest Barakah Miller
- Michigan Literary Network Radio 7/1/15 w/Mary Eatmon
- Michigan Literary Network Radio 6/24/15 w/guest Jerome McMillan
- Michigan Literary Network Radio 6/17/15 w/guest H. Eugene
- August 22 join #Detroit Nightcap wsg MOI instagram.com/p/5i_obJAySh/ 21 minutes ago
- Break open your #Kindle this holiday weekend for suspense/romance amazon.com/author/sylviah…. Collect them all! 21 minutes ago
- #MichLit Diva & Author, Sylvia Hubbard to keynote 2016 @ The Midwest Writers Conference… goo.gl/fb/Ukephp #mwn 45 minutes ago
- Break open your #Kindle this weekend for suspense/romance amazon.com/author/sylviah…. Collect them all! 58 minutes ago
- I'm 3 gallons of crazy in a 2 gallon bucket... #NormalSucks sylviahubbard1 #labw instagram.com/p/5xpj88yy6O/ 1 hour ago
- Motown Writers Meetup Group Monthly Meetup June 30, 2011Motown Writers Meetup Group (Please forward this to a friend and bring several friends with you.) See ya Sat and please bring a donation to help us out. Also bring your literary challenges, new books to announce and achievements. Networking is key to our survival as writers and authors! This is your chance to learn, network and connect! Detroit, MI 48202 - U […]
- #MotownWriters Monthly January 5, 2015Motown Writers Meetup Group This is the Detroit Motown Writers Meetup where special guest speakers talk about their literary journey, we share our challenges and struggles and we help each other. Want to announce an event? Want to share your book struggles? Want to announce your book's birth? Got a question! Come in! Join us! Donations are asked, but do […]
- Perk Based Crowdfunding For Writers July 22, 2015Motown Writers Meetup Group This will be a workshop to discuss crowdfunding. The speaker, Ronjini Joshua, founder of The Silver Telegram, a marketing company which specializes crowdfunding campaigns will discuss ways to prepare for a crowdfunding campaign and how to offer perks. Silver Telegram is an official Indiegogo partner that has raised over $3,000,000 […]
- Freelance Marketplace Writers' Group May 20, 2015Motown Writers Meetup Group This Rochester based group is open to all new, working, and published writers, photographers, and illustrators. All genres welcome and free to attend. We are NOT a critique group - we discuss the business of writing. Topics and guests - we meet the third Tuesday of the month* - come once, once in a while, or every time!Our meeting […]
- Nandi's Knowledge Cafe Open Mic Poetry July 13, 2013Recurring Event First start: 2013-07-18 21:00:00 EDT Duration: 10800 Where: 12511 Woodward off of Glendale, in Highland Park Event Status: confirmed Event Description: w/ Torreano Resean Harrison contact https://www.facebook.com/Caesar.Torreano
- Always Brewing Detroit July 13, 2013Recurring Event First start: 2013-07-18 18:30:00 EDT Duration: 9000 Where: 19180 Grand River Ave, Detroit, Michigan 48223 Event Status: confirmed Event Description: Open Mic tonight and every Thursday Always Brewing Detroit! Sign-up starts at 6:30pm, performances start at 7pm. Come and bring a friend! This is an open mic for poets, storytellers, singers/song […]
- Banned Book Week via @OMGFacts July 6, 2013When: Sun Sep 22, 2013 to Sat Sep 28, 2013 Where: EVERYWHERE Event Status: confirmed Event Description: The last week in September is designated as Banned Books Week in honor of great authors that have been challenged by various institutions
- Pen, Pitch, Publish, Profit! April 2, 2013When: Sat May 4, 2013 11am to 4pm EDT Where: 6 Depot Square - Montclair, 07042 Event Status: confirmed Event Description: For details, link here: http://penpitchpublishprofit.eventbrite.com
- Detroit Association of Black Storytellers (DAB) January 21, 2011When: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10am to 12pm ESTReplaces event originally scheduled for: Sat Dec 22, 2012 10am Where: Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History - Detroit, MI Event Status: confirmed Event Description: Detroit Association of Black Storytellers (DABS) meets at Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History on the 4th Saturday of each m […]
- Wallflux Clearinghouse: Inbox privacyInbox Privacy vs. Click Tracking: Walfllux Clearinghouse is live, check it out! https://clearinghouse.wallflux.com/ (This is a promoted post on an unregistered Wallflux-feed)
- Link: Soar with Reading 2015Sylvia Hubbard posted a link to Motown Writers Network's wall: Please help Detroit!!! Vote now!! Vote for Detroit to receive 100,000 free books courtesy of JetBlue. It doesn't appear there is a limit to the number of times you can vote so keep the votes going.
- Group wall post by Torreano Resean HarrisonTorreano Resean Harrison posted a photo on Motown Writers Network's wall: Its going down TONIGHT @ Nandi's Knowledge Cafe Poetry Can Be Anything Series from 9pm to 12am. We are located at 12511 Woodward off of Glendale, in Highland Park. Our featured artist for this week is Infinity This phenomenal poetess will be blazing our stage in epic fashion. […]
- Link: Million Dollars Worth of NerveKen Coleman posted a link to Motown Writers Network's wall: Order On This Day: African American Life in Detroit, Million Dollars Worth of Nerve and Soul On Air today! Visit
- Link: The Pastor's Naked SkeletonsTanisha Nish Stewart posted a link to Motown Writers Network's wall: ♨♨#VenomGroup♨♨ Looking for a face paced 5★ read to start your weekend off right? ONE CLICK Gwendolyn Everline's The Pastors Naked Skeletons right now!! Download to your eReaders today. Purchase for only $ 2.99!! Free with Unlimited!! http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0120PZ0UW #ThePastor […]
Writer’s Must Have Resources
Synergy Energy: How to Use the Power of Partnerships to Market Your Book, Grow Your Business, and Brand Your Ministry
Dan Poynter's Self-Publishing Manual, Volume 2: How to Write, Print and Sell Your Own Book
Do you have a writer's resource must have? Contact Us!
see more links and partners | click here