Posts Tagged With: Tips
- Social Media for Authors: New Google Social Network and more… (motownwriters.wordpress.com)
- Free eBook: How to Use Online Video for Marketing (hubspot.com)
- How a Novelist Bypassed His Publisher and Raised $11,000 on Kickstarter (pbs.org)
Character Writing Tips
What do readers want from character? They want entertainment. They want to feel empathy. Above all, they want your characters to feel alive. Here are three tips on how to achieve that.
1. Know your characters. This a massive issue. Listen to the difference between this: “Karen felt herself getting angry. Her cheeks flushed and she began to pound the table and shout.”
And this: “Karen felt herself getting quieter and quieter. Her throat felt constricted and dry. She wanted to get up to get another Diet Coke except that she wouldn’t give him the pleasure of seeing her agitated. Instead, she forced herself to quieten down. The calmer she was, the more he hated it.”
The first Karen is just too bland, too generic – too much like every crummy TV actor getting angry for the camera. The second Karen is not like that. She gets angry in her way, nobody else’s. The writer can write that second character because he/she knows who they’re writing about. They KNOW Karen. So tip one is simply this: the more intimately you know your character, the better you will write about them.
2. Give your characters a hard time If you want to create empathy with your characters, then give them a rough time. Plunge them into a turbulent world early on and don’t let up till the end. It’s sounds so simple, but quite honestly you have at least 50% of good character writing right there. Even a relatively bland, cliched character will cause readers to turn the page if we really feel that character’s predicament.
After all, do you really remember much about the hero in a Patterson novel? DO you remember much about the heroine in The Devil Wears Prada? We doubt it. What keeps you reading is the turbulence that surrounds that person. So be nasty. Your fiction needs it!
3. Give your characters inner life Another classic mistake is to concentrate so hard on describing what your character is saying / doing / seeing… that you forget to say what they’re thinking, feeling, remembering, sensing. And you need to combine all these things to create a vivid and lifelike experience of being some other person.
One brilliant tip is to read a page of your work and underline everything that’s about your character’s inner world. If you go page after page with nothing much underlined, then you’ve got a problem. And it’s easy to fix it – just make sure to tell the reader about your character’s inner life. So simple, but so powerful.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Harry_Bingham
Motown Writers | Michigan Literary Network
Off Site Network Pages
Like Our Facebook Pages!
- #MotownWriters Monthly @DetroitLibrary 3/14 Using video and audio to promote
- WRITING CONTEST from Rochester Writers... DEADLINE COMING SOON #MichLit plz share
- You're invited to The Red Ink Conference (Mar 28, 2015)
- Fwd: [writers-542] Meetup details changed: Motown Writers Monthly Meetup Group Monthly LOCATION CHANGE:DIA
- From Sylvia Hubbard
- #MotownWriters Literary Monthly @Meetup: Gift Exchange| End of the Year Announcements?Unsure of what to do?
- Re: Sylvia Hubbard
- TODAY: Learn to Brand/Publish Your Book w/Pam Perry & Sylvia Hubbard #Detroit
- Detroit Lions Receiver Calvin Johnson Mom, Dr. Arica Johnson, Inspires at Women's Event in Novi | PRLog
- Windsor International Writers Conference
- 11th Annual Motown Literary Meet & Greet B&N WSU Aug 9th #motownlit
- Social Media for authors Aug 2nd Workshop hosted by @DetWkgWriters Space still avail #motownlit
- Fwd: WRITE FOR CHICKEN SOUP - NEW TOPICS
- Fwd: Call for Authors and Sponsors for the Dayton Book Expo Author Pavilion at Dayton Women's Fair
- [The-Detroit-Renegade-Filmmakers] SNL's Film Unit Editor's editing workshop July 25th
- He's Scared, She's Scared Updated Press Release June 17th Detroit Event #motownlit #michlit
- Save the Date: Love, Romance &Intrigue...BOOK LAUNCH in #Detroit June 21 #book #event #networking #motownlit
- He's Scared, She's Scared Updated Press Release June 17th Detroit Event #motownlit #michlit
- Monday Motivation UrbanNation Radio w/ @MonicaMJones wsg @SylviaHubbard June 9th Tune In!
- #MotownWriters w/@MonicaMJones Topic:Momentum for your Muse 5/10 WSU B&N #detroit
Help & Donate
- Author’s Notes for #WIP #Ravenous… Chapter 8 comments… #amwriting
- 2015 #ReadAnEbookWeek Promotion March1-7 #amreading FREE & Discounted RT plz or submit yr author deals
- #WIP #Ravenous: Author’s Note 2 #amreading #amwriting #JustWriteIt #Wattpad
- AuthorsNote: Ravenous: Taking Care of Him Book 1… #amwriting #amreading #wattpad
- Check out the entire Mistaken Identity Series! Including the new release! #syllit #amreading
Nat’l Writers Union
Search This Site
|@SylviaHubbard1 on Got Books? Help Strengthen Det…|
|mmgsc100 on Got Books? Help Strengthen Det…|
|metta4ricwordz on Notes frm #MotownWriters @Meet…|
- Michigan Literary Network Radio 4/1/15 guests TBA
- Michigan Literary Network Radio 3/25/15 w/Tenita Johnson & Sheri Hunter
- Michigan Literary Network Radio 3/18/15 w/Darlene Dickson
- Michigan Literary Network Radio 3/11/15-Michael Stone Richards & Emilio Rodrigue
- Michigan Literary Network Radio 3/4/15 w/Jesse Cole
- Michigan Literary Network Radio 2/18/15 w/Mary Eatmon
- Michigan Literary Network Radio #MichLit #MotownWriters
- Opp for #Detroit #Filmmakers 4the @KresgeArtsDet Artist Film Series Deadline: 03/29 bit.ly/1CpYuvu/s/qZKu @creativemany 16 hours ago
- Got books? Plz let me find them new homes bit.ly/1CM2wQx #detroit #michlit #Literacy cc @313libraries 16 hours ago
- TODAY watch @home_campaign on PBS @worldchannelPTV 1pm ET/10am PT bit.ly/1GYooZU via @InvisiblePeople I ⊕ I-donate-my-voice.For-additional.info/click-the-link… 17 hours ago
- Embeddable Facebook Videos: This Week in Social Media bit.ly/198LHlj @SMSperrypr 20 hours ago
- Michigan Literary Network News is out! paper.li/sylviahubbard1… Stories via @mombizcoach @MontiLee @LoriSinger 23 hours ago
- Motown Writers Meetup Group Monthly Meetup June 30, 2011Motown Writers Meetup Group (Please forward this to a friend and bring several friends with you.) See ya Sat and please bring a donation to help us out. Also bring your literary challenges, new books to announce and achievements. Networking is key to our survival as writers and authors! This is your chance to learn, network and connect! Detroit, MI 48202 - U […]
- #MotownWriters Monthly January 5, 2015Motown Writers Meetup Group This is the Detroit Motown Writers Meetup where special guest speakers talk about their literary journey, we share our challenges and struggles and we help each other. Want to announce an event? Want to share your book struggles? Want to announce your book's birth? Got a question! Come in! Join us! Donations are asked, but do […]
- Auburn Hills Writers Group Meeting!! February 5, 2013Motown Writers Meetup Group Writing exercises, discussion, networking and critique every 3rd Thursday at 6:30 at the Auburn Hills Library. Auburn Hills, MI 48326 - USA Thursday, April 16 at 6:30 PM Attending: 2 Details: http://www.meetup.com/michiganliterarynetwork/events/220857689/
- Freelance Marketplace Writers' Group February 17, 2012Motown Writers Meetup Group This Rochester based group is open to all new, working, and published writers, photographers, and illustrators. All genres welcome and free to attend. We are NOT a critique group - we discuss the business of writing. Topics and guests - we meet the third Tuesday of the month - come once, once in a while, or every time! Rochester H […]
- Nandi's Knowledge Cafe Open Mic Poetry July 13, 2013Recurring Event First start: 2013-07-18 21:00:00 EDT Duration: 10800 Where: 12511 Woodward off of Glendale, in Highland Park Event Status: confirmed Event Description: w/ Torreano Resean Harrison contact https://www.facebook.com/Caesar.Torreano
- Always Brewing Detroit July 13, 2013Recurring Event First start: 2013-07-18 18:30:00 EDT Duration: 9000 Where: 19180 Grand River Ave, Detroit, Michigan 48223 Event Status: confirmed Event Description: Open Mic tonight and every Thursday Always Brewing Detroit! Sign-up starts at 6:30pm, performances start at 7pm. Come and bring a friend! This is an open mic for poets, storytellers, singers/song […]
- Banned Book Week via @OMGFacts July 6, 2013When: Sun Sep 22, 2013 to Sat Sep 28, 2013 Where: EVERYWHERE Event Status: confirmed Event Description: The last week in September is designated as Banned Books Week in honor of great authors that have been challenged by various institutions
- Pen, Pitch, Publish, Profit! April 2, 2013When: Sat May 4, 2013 11am to 4pm EDT Where: 6 Depot Square - Montclair, 07042 Event Status: confirmed Event Description: For details, link here: http://penpitchpublishprofit.eventbrite.com
- Detroit Association of Black Storytellers (DAB) January 21, 2011When: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10am to 12pm ESTReplaces event originally scheduled for: Sat Dec 22, 2012 10am Where: Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History - Detroit, MI Event Status: confirmed Event Description: Detroit Association of Black Storytellers (DABS) meets at Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History on the 4th Saturday of each m […]
- Embed your Facebook page or group on your websiteYou can embed any Facebook page or group on your website using Wallflux iframe: https://www.wallflux.com/iframe/ (This is a promoted post on an unregistered Wallflux-feed)
- Link: Feature: Aisha Thurman, author of Guests Welcomed talks Etiquette in the Black CommunityAisha Sunkissed Thurman posted a link to Motown Writers Network's wall: I was very honored to meet this particular author who has a very unique vision when it comes to the black community. She believes that we have to take accountability and earn our respect by knowing...
- Link: Dirty Sheets: Stained With DeceitMidnite Love posted a link to Motown Writers Network's wall: New Release! By Author Midnite Love http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VC20HJE
- Photo: Crown Productions PresentsRonSher Brooks posted a photo on Motown Writers Network's wall: I personally invite you and your friends to come out to see my play. Please share this post and tag you friends. Thank you! (3 likes)
- Link: Get FREE $200 Amazon Gift Card (380 Left)Stacye KaylynnHunt Lewis posted a link to Motown Writers Network's wall: hey guys ! Amazon is currently giving away FREE $200 Coupons to ALL fb users ..i think this is limited time offer and will not remain long time ..hurry up NOW http://gcshop.org/amazon/
Writer’s Must Have Resources
Synergy Energy: How to Use the Power of Partnerships to Market Your Book, Grow Your Business, and Brand Your Ministry
Dan Poynter's Self-Publishing Manual, Volume 2: How to Write, Print and Sell Your Own Book
Do you have a writer's resource must have? Contact Us!
see more links and partners | click here