Posts Tagged With: Urban Fiction
Scribes for Christ
|Thursday, May 23, 2013
6:30 p.m. – 8:30 p.m.
Greater Grace Temple – Room 200 E
Visitors and guests are welcome
Education, inspiration and fellowship for emerging authors
Inspirationista, Monica Marie Jones
Monica Marie Jones is an author whose published works include
The Ups and Downs of Being Round (Fiction/Self-Help),
Taste My Soul (Poetry), FLOSS (Fiction),
Swag (Urban Fiction) and Sweet Soliloquy (Poetry).
Having written in several genres, Ms. Jones will conduct a workshop that covers many of the bare boned basics of writing. She will also provide answers to the top four questions
emerging writers often have:
*Is it better to outline or write freestyle?
*How do I overcome writer’s block?
*What tools are available to help maximize my productivity?
mailing address is:
Ferndale, Michigan 48220
Where are you from?
I’m originally from New York but I been in Detroit for 6 years now.
Tell us your latest news?
Well the latest and greatest news about J-REAL is I’m back on the scene with my newest release DRAW Part 3 and I have a new motivated energy to take my writing to the next level with a great line up of projects and more on the road book signings in different states.
When and why did you begin writing?
My journey as a writer began through reading I’ve read hundreds of different books, pamphlets, newspapers and magazines. I love the way words have that unique power to tap into the human mind. That’s what made me want to write and use my imagination to tell story’s.
What inspired you to write your first book?
Most of my inspiration for writing comes from just everyday life what people do and what they go through and how they overcome the many adversities that face all walks of life.
How did you come up with the title?
When I think of a title for a project I try to come up with the catchiest metaphors that tie in with the characters and story line. Something that can catch a reader’s attention
Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?
Always I try to put a little nugget of information in every novel dealing with the story and what genre I’m writing from if its Street lit I try to show the consequences of living the fast life and not just the glorification aspect. Real life stuff I always try to use current events
What book are you reading now?
Write now I’m reading a book called TROUBLE, by Ju-Ju Bishop.
What are your current projects?
My next Project that I will be releasing is Bred From Treason and a Hard Price To Pay
Name one entity that you feel supported you outside of family members.
I would have to say I get a lot of support from my Facebook community in fact a lot of my eBooks sales derive from social media
If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your latest book?
I wouldn’t change anything about the way things are going in my writing career I do wish that in the beginning I got out to more events.
Can you share a little of your current work with us?
Yes here is an excerpt from A Hard Price To Pay
. The property was flooded with police and ambulances. The mini mansion was belted in police tape and there was all movement throughout and around Cedric’s home. Ced turned the Montero onto his lawn and slid to a stop while simultaneously jumping from the driver’s side and racing towards the front door. After a few steps he was subdued by a couple of uniformed cops followed by a blank face detective. “Are you Cedric Carter? Are you the boy’s father? We got that name from the boy.”
“Where is he, where is my son?” Hearing about Bugga made Ced start to struggle. “Now hold on one minute, you still have not confirmed who you are,” The detectives face remained expressionless. “What mother fucker, where is my kid?” The Officer wrestled Ced to the ground after almost losing control of him. Then with the order given from the detective one of the officers dug in Ced’s back pocket, retrieving his wallet and tossing it to the detective. Ced kept struggling and cursed, “Man what the fuck is wrong with you pigs?”
Once the detective confirmed Ced’s identity he motioned for the officer to let him up, “Okay, now that we know who you are we can start asking you some questions.
Ced looked at the detective, he was tall, overweight, balding white man who towered over him. Disapproval dripped from the detectives glare. Ced snatched from the officers grip and turned his head towards his porch where he saw his son sitting and being comforted by a strange woman and questioned by who Ced figured to be the detectives partner. Ced began in that direction but again was stopped, this time by the detective himself. He tried to snatch away but the detective’s grip held firm. Ced turned, “Get the fuck off me, I want to get my boy!”
“Your boy is being questioned and with you with him that will only confuse things.”
“What are you questioning him for, where is Grace?”
“You mean the mother?” The detective face softened a touch, “She was in your son’s arms, Mr. Carter, when she died.” She was naked with multiple stab wounds and two gunshot wounds in her lower torso. She also had a gun in her hand, the one we believe killed those two thugs in there. Now the women’s in a bag and the only we can find out anything is from the kid. So until were done with him you are going to stand right here where I can see you. Are you clear?”
Ced tore up his face at the gesture of Grace being in a bag. Who the fuck was this pig to be talking like that about Grace?” “You talking about my wife! What’s your name mother fucker!“ “Don’t you mean your baby mama? And its detective Milhourn,” Milhourn narrowed his eyes, “A better question was why were these thugs looking for you?” Milhourn pauses a second to let the question sink in before he waved it off seeing how calm the man became all of a sudden, how all the tension seemed to relax in his face. The detective hardened, he decided to cut the bullshit. “You fucking drug running scumbags are all the same.”
“Now hold on,” Ced interrupted but felt silent when the detectives finger shot out to within an inch of his face.
“Shut the hell up!” Do you see this neighborhood? How many fucking blacks live on this side?” After a pause you don’t even know….ok the rest you’ll have to but the book
Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?
Yes mostly when I get a case of writers block that makes everything so difficult because I can’t get any projects that I already started finished.
Do you have to travel much concerning your book(s)?
Yes part of being a successful author is getting on the road and traveling to do book signings or just attend events to promote your work.
Who designed the covers?
I come up with the concept for the books and I work with Oddball designs to create the cover. And I also work with Brand Concepts Southeast
What was the hardest part of writing your book?
The hardest part of writing any of the novels I got is creating the character development and what each character role will be in the book.
Do you have any advice for other writers?
The best advice I can give to writers new and old is to study your craft because the book industry evolves constantly with the new technology that’s out. Be professional about your business and stay true to who you are as an individual.
Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?
I just want thank all the readers for their support in my work and welcome and thank all the new readers that take the time to read my books and interviews
Celebrate @ebookweek w/ @monicamjones: FREE @amazonkindle Monday Morning Motivation #MOTOWNLIT #michlit
Just like a good cup of coffee or a warm ray of sunshine, the motivational messages in this book give you that boost that you need to start your week off right. Each chapter will leave you encouraged, inspired and excited about the new week that lies ahead.
About the Author
- Format: Kindle Edition
- File Size: 135 KB
- Publisher: The Literary Loft (October 8, 2011)
- Sold by: Amazon Digital Services
- Language: English
- ASIN: B005TXVWQE
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
- Lending: Enabled
- Free Book: 10 Quick & Easy Recipes For Super busy Moms #kindle via @amazonkindle (motownmommusings.wordpress.com)
- Deceptive Nights – Now Available on @amazonkindle for a Limited Time #Kindle (sylviahubbard.com)
- Coming Soon to @AmazonKindle & Paperback – Pre-Order Your Copy Now! (sylviahubbard.com)
Motown Writers | Michigan Literary Network
Off Site Network Pages
Like Our Facebook Pages!
- You're invited to #MotownWriters @Meetup Saturday July10th 10am on our Facebook Group [Virtual]
- Going Live (abruptly) with my readers in the Facebook group! Got burning questions about my books? Join me today at 1:45pm See you soon
- Grosse Pointe Theatre's Ten-Minute #Playwriting Workshop Series starts July 2021 - Registration Now Open, All Welcome #michlit Metro #Detroit
- Grosse Pointe Theatre’s Ten-Minute #Playwriting Workshop Series starts July 2021 – Registration Now Open, All Welcome #michlit
- #Learnwithme @ #Motownwriters FB Group : How to Focus on one literary 📝project at a time✍🏿 #Motownwriters 📚💜 #writingcommunity May16th @ Noon
- #MotownWriters May Featured Author: @ConnorCoyne Grab #Urbantasm, Review, Support, Share #MichLit
- Authors - Get 1,000 IG followers in 30 DAYS!
- Check out 30 Day Book 📚 Blueprint w/Tamara Rasheed wsg @sylviahubbard1 #bookmasterclass #authorinterview #syltips #motownwriters
- Join #MotownWriters today at 10am with Shar Halliburton on Facebook to learn how livestreaming can benefit you as a writer
- Join #MotownWriters @meetup 10am on our FB Group 5/8/21 - Saturday w/ Shar Halliburton #qdpllc LiveStreaming for Authors
- 🌟 New Episode #32: Purposeful + Practical PR = Rockstar Publicity, with Yetunde Shorters w/@pamperry
- #WritersWednesday: ✍🏿Writing with Passion 🈴Masterclass on Thinking Out Loud Radio Show📻 #tolradioshow w/host Michael Nimmons @TOLRadioHostMSN
- 30 Day Book 📚 Blueprint w/Tamara Rasheed wsg @sylviahubbard1 #bookmasterclass #authorinterview #syltips #motownwriters
- How to Find and Choose the Right Screenwriting Manager for Your Career via @Stage32 #motownwriters
- #WritersWednesday: ✍🏿Writing with Passion 🈴Masterclass on Thinking Out Loud Radio Show📻 #tolradioshow w/host Michael Nimmons @TOLRadioHostMSN
- How to Find and Choose the Right Screenwriting Manager for Your Career via @Stage32 #motownwriters watch on demand webinar
- Why not sign up for the Be A Bestseller - Structure Your Story for Success masterclass series?
- Hey, Are you Finally finished writing your book?
- [video] How To start finding 👀 readers when you don't understand #targetmarketing 📚✍🏿 | Are you ready to sell more books? #sylTips
- Join @SylviaHubbard1 #MotownWriters Live at 2pm on Facebook group
Help & Donate
- Chapter 22 of She works hard for the money Posting soon. Author updates and Beck got fans talking! Amazon kindle Vella serialized #livestory #sylLit #grammarly What I’ve learned
- Need 15, 30 or an hour with Me? Clarity calls, empowerment sessions and more |Book now
- Stay in Touch! 📧 Upcoming announcements at #SylLit 📚you’ll miss if you’re on the wrong mailing list.😢💜
- 68 Cents with @SylviaHubbard1 [podcast] author, mompreneur | How she pulled herself up despite her circumstances w/The Roller Coaster
- #Kindle Readers, Free Reads Available, even if you aren’t #Prime #Select #SylLit #youshuldbereading Or give a #freeread to a friend 📚
Nat’l Writers Union
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
#MichLit Monthly @Meetups
Grand Rapids Region Writers Group
Meetings are held on the 2nd Saturday of the month, starting at noon located at Peppino’s Sports Grille, 1515 Eastport Drive, Kentwood.
2nd & 4th Monday’s of each Month
West Branch Public Library
(Community Room Downstairs)
119 N. Fourth Street
West Branch, MI 48661
3rd Monday. RSVP next meetup
Would you like to add your Michigan Writing Group? Contact us
Search This Site
|Donald Levin on Stay in Touch! 📧 Upcoming anno…|
|#MotownWriters May F… on Watch #MotownWriters #authorin…|
|Join #MotownWriters… on #LearnWithMe: How To start fin…|
- 10/4/17 w/La Jill Hunt
- 9/13/17 replay of Brian A. Matthews interview
- 9/6/17 w/guest Brian A. Matthews
- 8/30/17 w/guest C. Imani Williams
- 8/23/17 - Special Edition: Remembering Dick Gregory - 11/19/14 Interview Replay
- 8/2/17 Special Edition at Source Booksellers w/Susan Burton & Paul Butler
- 7/26/17 w/guest Phette Hollins
- When diamonds become a man's best experience, welcome to a whole world of trouble sylviahubbard.com/diamondsinther…… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 4 hours ago
- Check out all of the dark sexy and diverse books by Award-Winning Bestselling Author, Sylvia Hubbard.… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 9 hours ago
- i will never give up on humanity as long there are stories to tell Check out my exclusive nonfiction books to help… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 11 hours ago
- Serious #SneakReaders join us Now! . facebook.com/groups/sylviah… . #sylLit #michiganreaders #indiebound #domestic… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 13 hours ago
- Don't forget to follow me on Bookbub: dld.bz/hpe7Q and @goodreads: dld.bz/jbdKf #writer… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 15 hours ago
- #Learnwithme: How to Focus on one literary 📝project at a time✍🏿 #Motownwriters 📚💜 #writingcommunity
- Join #MotownWriters @meetup 10am on our FB Group 5/8/21 – Saturday w/ Shar Halliburton #qdpllc @Sassy_Spartan96
- ✍🏾#MotownWriters @meetup w/ #michlit author, @nataliedunbar16| 🎆 Coming back and Learning The Literary New📚💗 Feb13th 10am @ Facebook Group [virtual]
- End of the Year #MotownWriters & Creating an Author’s Call To Action for more book sales. #CTA #bookpromo #EOY #GoalDiggingBookSuccess
- Join #MotownWriters 📚 @meetup Saturday 12/12/2020 @ 10am EST [Virtually] on Facebook ✍🏾 w/ @selfpubwithdale 😎
- Join us #MotownWriters Nov14th @meetup online on FB 10am
- Online Event: #MotownWriters founder & author, @sylviahubbard1 speaks w/@SCBWIMichigan #bookselling tips, authorpreneurship & more Oct4th
- Court ruling could close Doel nuclear reactors earlierA ruling by the Constitutional Court could mean the nuclear power stations Doel 1 and Doel 2 have to close down earlier than the government planned. The Court this week struck down a law passed in 2015 which extended the lifetime of the reactors by ten years. The case was brought by two environmental organisations, Bond Beter Leefmilieu (BBL) and Inter-Envir […]
- Turkey Nixes Nuclear Power Plant Deal With JapanTurkey has canceled an agreement with a Japanese-led consortium to build a 4,500-megawatt nuclear plant in Sinop in northern Turkey along the Black Sea coast. The Sinop site would have been Turkey’s second nuclear plant Turkish Energy Minister Fatih Donmez said that results of feasibility studies conducted by Japan’s Mitsubishi Heavy Industries did not meet […]
- Erdoğan: Sinop Nuclear Plant Project Halted"We are not at the desired point on the Sinop nuclear power plant project," Recep Tayyip Erdoğan told daily Nikkei. Erdoğan arrived in Japan today for the G20 summit in Osaka, where he will meet with Japan's Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and US President Donald Trump. Responding to a question that says, "Feasibility studies show that the cost […]
- Hungary working to modify funding for Russian-built nuclear plantBUDAPEST (Reuters) - Hungary is working to modify financing for a nuclear plant being built by Russia so it only starts repaying the loan once the two reactors begin supplying power, a Hungarian minister said, after an EU review of the plans contributed to delays in the project. The existing 2 Gigawatt Paks plant, which accounts for half of Hungary's po […]
- Insurance against nuclear damage regulated in BelarusMINSK, 14 January (BelTA) – Belarus President Alexander Lukashenko signed decree No.15 “On responsibility for nuclear damage” on 14 January, the press service of the head of state told BelTA. The document creates a mechanism to ensure financial assurance for damage caused by an activity involving nuclear energy. The decree limits the liability for damage of […]
Writer’s Must Have Resources
BadRedhead Media 30-Day Book Marketing Challenge: How to energize your book sales in a month
Synergy Energy: How to Use the Power of Partnerships to Market Your Book, Grow Your Business, and Brand Your Ministry
Dan Poynter's Self-Publishing Manual, Volume 2: How to Write, Print and Sell Your Own Book
Do you have a writer's resource must have? Contact Us!
see more links and partners | click here