In 1949, twin sisters came into this world surprising everybody including their parents and the doctor because he heard only one heartbeat. On a path ordered by God, the twins touched the lives of many in their roles as teachers, attorneys, and judges. The rocky road the twins followed to achieve these professions was God’s way of preparing them for life. In Your Honor, Your Honor, author Judge Leonia J. Lloyd tells the story of this dynamic duo whose professional careers led them to become models, schoolteachers, and entertainment lawyers. Eventually, with their unique moniker, Twins for Justice, they became the first identical-twin district court judges to sit on the same bench at the same time in the country. Focusing on restorative justice, their careers were on a meteoric rise until the unexpected and sudden death of Judge Leona Lloyd put an abrupt halt to their successful lives together.
Lost and alone, Leonia was in the storm of her life; despair had an iron clad grip around her. She turned to God for guidance, and her prayers were answered. Your Honor, Your Honor chronicles her life experiences including her relationship with her twin, her struggles against racism, her account of the grieving process, and her stride toward justice.
In the book, Judge Lloyd, who is now retired, shares stories about:
- The mental illness that her mother-Registered Nurse Mattie N. Lloyd-suffered after a brain hemorrhage.
- The commitment that her father-auto body mechanic Leon T. Lloyd Jr.-demonstrated by keeping the family together to raise two successful daughters despite racism, his wife’s multiple personalities and breakdowns, and later, his struggles with alcoholism.
- Situations that showcase her parents’ words of wisdom and actions that taught the girls discipline, perseverance, and determination to triumph over challenges.
- Racial unrest, the 1967 Detroit insurrection, and how wearing an afro drew disapproval from her boss and colleagues at a job during college.
- Examples of people whose lives were transformed by Drug Treatment Court and Project Fresh Start, for persons who practiced the act of prostitution.
- How she led the creation and implementation of Michigan’s second Veteran’s Treatment Court.
- Examples that illustrated how the powerful bond between the twin sisters could not be broken by death.
- A powerful testament to the power of faith that provided the people, synchronicities, and strength to heal from paralyzing grief and carry on the spirit of her sister by making a positive impact on thousands of people during her tenure on the bench.
Your Honor, Your Honor makes a perfect holiday gift, as it delivers an entertaining, inspiring read that sparkles with wisdom and lessons about how to create a successful life, even when tragedies and challenges make that seem impossible. Judge Lloyd shows that with faith, anything is possible.